Online Dating Sites - Do they work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
Eharmony etc... do they work? Have you tried them? Meet anyone?

Sounds like a shrink made a personality/compatibility test, plugged it into the computer and put it on the web... must be a major cash cow for someone...

I'm paranoid about putting personaly information online and can't believe I'd meet anyone (worth meeting) that way... but maybe it'd be better than the bars or church or work or school or what-have-you...

Two of my good friends met their wives online. It's become so ubiquitous that it really isn't much different than meeting people through more traditional means. There are bad date stories with online dating but there are for dates that came from other sources also.

Gotta say POF is worth the price......keep in mind that it is free.;)

I have met some really nice people and a couple of absolute winners.

All in 3 weeks or so.

I joined POF a couple of weeks ago. I'm not exactly looking for a relationship but I figured I might at least make a few friends.

As far as personal info, my age and location are close but not real.

I have a coworker who met his fiancé on POF, and have heard about some other good outcomes. Try it, and if you don't like it, delete your account. It's free, so you haven't lost anything.

13 years ago, my wife and I met on Yahoo's personals. As we started talking, we discovered we had about 50 mutual friends. I don't know how we had never bumped into each other before.

Another vote for POF. I'm married so SWMBO says I have no need for it... but every friend I have who has used POF has been pretty successful.

A good friend of mine also found his wife online dating. I think it's a great idea but just keep in mind that it's just blind dating. Sure it's a little more effective & you're meeting folks that meet your personality, but it's blind dating.

Now go find your future wife!

Hell yes to blind dating.

The woman I am now "dating" is incredible. If we had met at a bar (yeah right) or somewhere random by chance, I probably would not have gotten a date.

Since the date is implied when you meet up, the pressure is higher, but you are at least in the door.

Cheezy, Sharona. Sharona, Cheezy.

Think about it. Both on the same dating site. Both like beer. Both brew beer. Both use the same brewing forum. Both can do that really cool thing with their tongue. It's perfect.

Some friends of ours met online in WoW. One was complaining about being broke in the game. The other suggested selling orc babies for gold. The rest is history.

I met my current gf on OKcupid. I would guess it depends on your age and location as to if it's better than POF but I think it is. I also met many other kind women on there.

As far as personal info. If you are too concerned to can fudge your location and age, dont' put your name online or in your username and my own personal trick is to have an entirely different SN for dating sites so if someone looks it up through Google it won't trace to you. My OKC accoutn was a Rush lyric, sadly no one ever got it ha.

yea it works, i use those online dating sites to get laid a lot. It seems like girls you meet over the internet are a lot more easy to approach. I never had a gf over the internet tho. So, i think it works for some purposes.

^^Strong first post man..

I met my soon to be wife on eHarmony. Also met some real winners. At first answering and asking questions seems like it drags on, but it get's to the bottom of who you are and what you're looking for. We've been together for almost 4 years. Getting married in three weeks. Couldn't ask for a better person to be with. She puts up with my ****. The way I look at it:

Every woman is crazy, it's just how much crazy you want to deal with. Also, she has to be able to deal with my **** and crazy ideas. God knows I have a ton. I can deal with her crazy, she puts up with my ****. Both very happy!

I tried match.com and that was just a toned down Adult Friend Finder..

YMMV

I've tried eHarmony several times, been on a few dates, but almost all have been one-date deals. Might give it another shot here in the near future.

Took me about 6 months off and on to get what I was looking for.

Dated a girl, took a break, dated a local girl and ended it. Signed back up, talked to a ton of women dated I think 2 more, then found the one I'm going to marry. She contacted me. Only had about a week left in my membership. Was just going to let it expire and do the single thing for a while.

For political reasons I avoided eHarmony but was on Match for a while. Dated one woman from there for just over 2 years. I would call that pretty successful even though she wasnt the woman I eventually married.

Funny note, I met my now-wife at the local watering hole in the neighborhood. She is one of 2 women I have dated that my grandmother ever met (because God rest her she was brutal on women). She asked where we met and we had to admit that it was at a bar. "Ah, the old fashioned way!" Grandma responded. Came to find out Grandpa met her at a bar all those years ago :).

But yeah... my advice, skip eHarmony (I've never personally seen it work) on the one end and Lavalife on the other end. POF, Match, etc. all seem to work just fine. Just do your homework before getting joint accounts ;)

Great, now I'm getting online dating banner ads. Man, I gotta stop clicking on these threads.

It depends what you're looking for. If you only date 9+'s, then you won't find very many of them online because they don't have to. Guys are constantly approaching them.

You can find what you want, but online dating isn't much different from conventional dating in that there are a whole lot of losers and a few winners. Be selective and trust your instincts.

It depends what you're looking for. If you only date 9+'s, then you won't find very many of them online because they don't have to. Guys are constantly approaching them.

You can find what you want, but online dating isn't much different from conventional dating in that there are a whole lot of losers and a few winners. Be selective and trust your instincts.

There is truth in this.

I met my current GF of 2 years on match.com and I'll probably end up marrying her.

Its just a way to use technology to increase your scope and reach into the pool of available mates.

One other benefit of the sites is that people self select to be on them so they are looking for something(obviously everyone has a different version of that something).

My wife and I have talked about joining eHarmony just to see if we really are compatible, or just living a lie.
My sister and brother-in-law toyed with that idea when I told them I had signed up for the site once. They never followed through with it (to the best of my knowledge).

My wife and I met via Match.com back in 2005. Married in '07, and still crazy about one another.

We also both tried eHarmony, and both hated it. We both did much better basically "shopping" on Match.com rather than having someone else (allegedly; neither of us ever got an EH recommendation worth a damn) create matches between similar/compatible profiles.

-Rich

I know some people find match's "wink" system silly (do they still do that?) but I found it to be quirky and fun.

POF....dear god.......without any details, I will be mildly in debt to POF for the rest of my life.....regardles of what happens after 2:30 am last night!;) (this morning/last night, who gives a flying eff at this point???)

Married to my match.com match.. Been together for 8 years, married for three.

I was working nearly 80hrs per week at the time, relatively new to the area... I had some specific things that I was looking for, and never seemed to find it in the construction management circles I was running in at the time, go figure.. :)

I think the key is all the similarities... That we both eventually wanted kids & didn't have any yet, enjoyed/ wanted to travel, had secure jobs, didn't smoke, strong family ties, similar interests, correct age group, etc. Sure, variety is the spice of life, and (looks over my shoulder) I have had enough variety by the time I met her.... Some basic common ground is amazingly uncommon, and I always felt like I was very different in my thinking and goals from the women I was meeting randomly at the time.

I am not saying that this is the only way, but I doubt I would have run into her without it.

POF....dear god.......without any details, I will be mildly in debt to POF for the rest of my life.....regardles of what happens after 2:30 am last night!;) (this morning/last night, who gives a flying eff at this point???)

Tehe you whacky single people... staying up to 2:30am on a school night for nookie. We were once like you....

Tehe you whacky single people... staying up to 2:30am on a school night for nookie. We were once like you....

Yes, and I was once like you.;)

I sincerely hope that you 2 are right for each other, and that being the case, only need the occasional 2:30 am nookie.(it should be spontaneous, not stayed up for)

With the haunted ex hooker I made the mistake of marrying, well......let's just say that at 2:30 am I was at a better place than most anytime in the last 11 years or so.

You should be proud of me, I almost made a dirty joke about the place you were. I do want you to know that I thought of a joke though, so you know I still got it.

Bro you've been through it tho. 11 years with someone you cant stand??

You should be proud of me, I almost made a dirty joke about the place you were. I do want you to know that I thought of a joke though, so you know I still got it.

Bro you've been through it tho. 11 years with someone you cant stand??

"Can't stand" is a bit harsh. "Not right for each other" is perhaps a little more correct, and perhaps more forgiveable, but no less of a mistake.

She has done some nearly unforgiveable things since the marriage ended. thus the movement from "Not right" to "Evil Hooker".

I have been shocked, to say the least.

Im not very good at forgiveness to begin with, that pool of things that are nearly unforgivable is huge.

I did manage to reconcile with my cousin on Saturday though... maybe I'm growing spiritually. Or maybe I'm a yutz and its going to backfire, either are possible.

I met my wife, the BigHair on match dot com in the spring of 2002

we're celebrating our 8th anniversary today

official1.jpg

In my opinion, those e-harmony sites do very little for people that are looking for a relationship, online.

I am a HUGE believer in online-dating, but I feel that half the reason why things work out for those that use it is because you have to wade through the stupid people and find the hidden gems. When someone just falls into your lap based on somebody else's work/effort, you take that person for granted and you just kinda run with it since a computer told you it was a good idea. I've seen friends waste tons of money on those services and not one of them has maintained a long-term relationship with the people they've met through e-harmony.

I used POF and Lavalife for 3 years and met a lot of women. Most were 1-date flops, but I met a few girls that lasted longer than that. I still met/dated girls from the real world (gym, Starbucks, clubs/bars) but the majority of the girls I dated were from the internet. When you meet someone from an online dating site, you can go into more details than just their appearance, assuming they know how to put together a decent profile.
*Sorry guys, if you ever claim you approach a woman in a bar because of anything other than her looks, that's straight up BS (unless she's reading The Art of War in a bar, which is neat, but effin' weird)

I met my wife almost 6 years ago on Lavalife, and I couldn't be happier. I had to wade through a bunch of duds to find a good one (albeit her that messaged me) and I appreciated her when I met her, and I still appreciate her, today. We had very little in common when we met, but we've grown together and have found many commonalities over time. Without internet dating sites, I wouldn't have met my wife and I wouldn't have my daughter... so I owe everything to internet dating :)

My two cents.

Back