Longer hop stand= more hop aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdoc

Reaction score
I have noticed a lack in hop aroma in my pale ales recently. I think I have been cooling my wort quicker than normal, it takes about 25 minutes to cool 10 gallons through a counterflow chiller. I used to cool with a copper coil that went directly in the wort, and I remember taking a lot longer to reach pitching temp..... This seems to be the only difference in technique.

Once in a while I will do a one gallon brew and the hop aroma is always amazing. I don't keep track of how long the 0 minute hops contact the wort, but I think it is longer than when I brew 10 gallon batches, because I have to cool the smaller batch in my sink. I estimate this to take 45 minutes...

So, next brew I am going to do a 45 minute hop stand before I begin cooling.

Do you think I solved my problem???

Up to a point, yes. I think 75 minutes-80 minutes is about where it cuts off being beneficial. I usually got 30-45 minutes with the burner on low, keeping the wort in the 160-180 range.

Back