mr.beer+ 1lb table sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar89

Reaction score
Okay i added about 1 lb of white granulated table sugar to a mr.beer all malt Oktoberfest kit! and brought the water up to a little over 2 gallons its going wicked in teh fermentation what can i expect from this bath? How much alco the flavor and also how do i get it to carb up good the mr. beer 1 liter requirements hardly carb it at all!

It'll be drier and boozier than the recipe called for. Carbonation won't change - follow your directions to carb per normal.

Okay i added about 1 lb of white granulated table sugar to a mr.beer all malt Oktoberfest kit! and brought the water up to a little over 2 gallons its going wicked in teh fermentation what can i expect from this bath? How much alco the flavor and also how do i get it to carb up good the mr. beer 1 liter requirements hardly carb it at all!

What is it that you were trying to accomplish by adding the 1 lb of table sugar?

Were you trying to make ethanol to run your car on? You might as well because you most likely ruined your beer.

Adding extra sugar will dry out your beer. If you put more sugars in which raises the ABV, you could go over the alcohol tolerance of the yeast and end up with residual sugars. Additionally if you add too much white sugar you can get strange ciderish flavors. Were you trying to make Malt liquor or something? I cannot personally see the rationale for adding a LB of white sugar to a 2 gal Mr. Beer but that is just me.

We need to cut the guy a little slack. Perhaps he's posting on the beginner forum because he just began? Of course people who've been brewing a long time know that adding a pound of table sugar to a 2-gallon batch is a bad idea, but he clearly does not -- because he's just new to the hobby. The purpose of this subforum is to welcome new people into the hobby with constructive feedback, not make them feel dumb.

In his defense, I'll say that the Mr. Beer directions (at least the version I read several years ago) explicitly state that you can add sugar to adjust ABV, but are very vague as to how much can be added. They are also vague on the potential negative impact of adding too much.

To the OP: if you were brewing a larger, 5-gallon batch, then adding a pound of table sugar would have a much less noticeable effect. The proportion of sugar to extract in your 2-gallon Mr. Beer batch is quite high, and will most likely result in some off-flavors -- chiefly, a strong scent and taste of what can only be likened to cider.

My first batch ever was a Mr. Beer kit I got for Christmas in 2001. I got around to brewing it several years later. Stale extract + ancient yeast + corn sugar that had melted and then hardened into a brick = beer that tastes like a 50/50 mix of Mich Ultra and apple cider vinegar. We still keep a bottle in the medicine cabinet in case we need to induce vomiting.

If the beer does turn out terrible, I strongly urge you to consider trying again with a proper setup. If you have a homebrew shop nearby, stop in some time and look at what a basic brewing setup. After my abyssmal brewing failure, I bought a copy of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian on Amazon. I read up on the hobby, figured out what I did wrong, and got back into it with the proper tools and ingredients.

True. My apologies if I sounded accusing or mocking. It is true that we all start out at the beginning and should not judge. Probably should have worded it slightly different, though usually it is better to ask what effect it would have before rather than after

And Mr. Beer can make good beer. Heck many people here use their Little Brown Kegs (LBK's) to brew up small batch or test batches using regular ingredients and not just the canned worts. OP. Ask and we will answer what we can. Its just oftentimes when we start hearing about pounds of table sugar being added on a first brew we start hearing about bread yeast and hootchmaking and kind of get our backs up. Homebrew is what we do. Prison Wine... yecch.

The first time I ever brewed was with a friend and his Mr. Beer kit. Even after dropping a fork in the cooled wort and retrieving it with a bare hand it turned out ok. We called it Stinkfist Ale.

Congratulations on your new hobby and kudos for being ready to experiment. My first brew was a Mr. Beer, and I still use it to make small batches pretty regularly.

This is a great forum, you'll find a lot of good advice here. We've all had successes and made mistakes, and there is a very good chance that someone has already tried either the same thing or something similar to any experiment or modification you want to try so don't hesitate to ask for feedback, especially before your brew day!

Your beer is going to have some warmth from the extra sugar. It will probably have more residual sweetness than you intended, but that's OK - you'll have a better idea of how the ingredients work together after you go through this process and taste the result. If you don't like this one, don't get discouraged, grab another kit and try again. Try making a beer in your favorite style, with very few (or no) changes to the kit recipe. Then make the same kit again with small tweaks. Post here with questions, comments, tasting notes, and you will definitely get a lot of feedback from people who have been there before and have good tips for you.

1 pound of sugar into a 5 gallon batch could be a disaster, your batch is just a little over 2.........

How could 1 pound of sugar in a 5 gallon batch be a disaster? That's probably less than most recipes that ACTUALLY USE SUGAR, like Belgian Beers call for.

We need to stop this repeating this oversimplification.

That's actually another one of those brewer's myths that new brewer's tend to repeat over and over like canon, without full understanding what they're talking about.

Too much sugar, in a recipe can give off off flavors, or make a beer cidery, but we're talking about someone who wants to bump up the alcohol on his 6 pounds of extract beer by adding another 6 pounds of table sugar to it.

That whole thing about not adding sugar or else you make "cidery" beer is one of those little "chestnuts" that noobs repeat without thinking deeper about it. When we talk about it being a bad thing, is when the ratio of sugar to malt quite high, like frat boys trying to bump up their coopers can...yeah that's a bad thing...but we're not talking about that here, we're talking about an acceptable brewing process for many styles of beer...

I mean do you like Belgian beers? Are they "cidery?" Are they crappy tasting because of the simple sugars that are added? If you like them, that's how they achieved the beer you like.

Belgian beers are a style that are supposed to have simple sugars in it. It raises the abv, but it also cuts down on some of the body, promotes the formation of certain flavors and helps dry the beer out.

Adding sugars traditionally are a way of upping the ABV without boosting the body. They also can thin out a heavier bodied beer. And dry it out.

If you are trying to make a high gravity beer if you used all grain you'd have a thick and heavy beer.

The easiest comparison to make is the difference between a Barleywine and a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. They are pretty close in color, ibus and gravity, but since the Belgian beer replaces some of the grain with sugars it's a thinner, more refreshing finish....where the barleywine is almost like a liqueur.

A pound or two isn't going to affect the beer in a negative way, especially if the recipe calls for. Even a cooper's which people want to deride, or some others suggest replacing with malt extract, is really meant to have exactly the amount of sugar the recipe might call for. But if you willy nilly add a couple more pounds to it, that's another story.

It's about balance in a recipe, the correct amount of sugar in a recipe is fine, and often serves an important purpose.

1 pound in a 5 gallon recipe is rarely a problem.

And besides its' been a while since I brewed a Mr Beer kit, but iirc 1# WAS the standard amount to use in those kits.

^ I meant in addition to the recipe.........I would think an extra pound atop everything else in there would just alter the entire batch.......

And besides its' been a while since I brewed a Mr Beer kit, but iirc 1# WAS the standard amount to use in those kits.

He's doing a 2 gallon batch and 30% of his fermentables are pure table sugar. That's much different than adding a pound to a 5-gallon batch. 1/3 of his total abv is coming from the cane sugar.

Most of the Mr Beer kits that I saw only required sugar for bottling. The LME cans were a little under 2.5 lbs. Maybe his is different...

Agreed that the generalized statement that adding table sugar will kill your beer needs to quiet down, but this beer would seem to have a rather high cane-sugar-to-malt ratio.

Maybe next time, it would be better to post the question here before you actually add extra stuff to the recipe or try something you're not sure of.

If you had asked, "I'm doing a Mr. Beer 2-gallon batch and thinking about adding a pound of table sugar (for X reason), do you think I should?" you would have gotten more helpful advice than you received by starting an "ex post facto" thread.

How could 1 pound of sugar in a 5 gallon batch be a disaster? That's probably less than most recipes that ACTUALLY USE SUGAR, like Belgian Beers call for.

We need to stop this repeating this oversimplification.

That's actually another one of those brewer's myths that new brewer's tend to repeat over and over like canon, without full understanding what they're talking about.

Too much sugar, in a recipe can give off off flavors, or make a beer cidery, but we're talking about someone who wants to bump up the alcohol on his 6 pounds of extract beer by adding another 6 pounds of table sugar to it.

That whole thing about not adding sugar or else you make "cidery" beer is one of those little "chestnuts" that noobs repeat without thinking deeper about it. When we talk about it being a bad thing, is when the ratio of sugar to malt quite high, like frat boys trying to bump up their coopers can...yeah that's a bad thing...but we're not talking about that here, we're talking about an acceptable brewing process for many styles of beer...

I mean do you like Belgian beers? Are they "cidery?" Are they crappy tasting because of the simple sugars that are added? If you like them, that's how they achieved the beer you like.

Belgian beers are a style that are supposed to have simple sugars in it. It raises the abv, but it also cuts down on some of the body, promotes the formation of certain flavors and helps dry the beer out.

Adding sugars traditionally are a way of upping the ABV without boosting the body. They also can thin out a heavier bodied beer. And dry it out.

If you are trying to make a high gravity beer if you used all grain you'd have a thick and heavy beer.

The easiest comparison to make is the difference between a Barleywine and a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. They are pretty close in color, ibus and gravity, but since the Belgian beer replaces some of the grain with sugars it's a thinner, more refreshing finish....where the barleywine is almost like a liqueur.

A pound or two isn't going to affect the beer in a negative way, especially if the recipe calls for. Even a cooper's which people want to deride, or some others suggest replacing with malt extract, is really meant to have exactly the amount of sugar the recipe might call for. But if you willy nilly add a couple more pounds to it, that's another story.

It's about balance in a recipe, the correct amount of sugar in a recipe is fine, and often serves an important purpose.

Revvy speaks truth. I recently did a five gallon batch of Belgian golden strong, and the recipe required three pounds of table sugar. I don't get cidery flavors.

As I stated to the OP, it'll be drier and boozier than the original recipe. I personally doubt that it will be great, but what's done is done. Better to explain why this wasn't a great tweak than to slam the guy and make him not want to come back to HBT.

Guys this was an experiment to make malt liqure to get drunk quick after work with my boyfriend . I have 5 gallons of coopers real ale going now according to the recipie

Latest posts

Back