How much honey should I use for 2 litres?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick22

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to start a mead, sounds easy enough but I am unsure how much honey to use for a batch as small as 2 litres :p

No, it needs to be by weight and not ml- we can give it to you in grams. Honey and sugar aren't fluid weights, and are measured by dry weight. That's in pounds/ounces for us, and KG/grams for the rest of the world.

No, it needs to be by weight and not ml- we can give it to you in grams. Honey and sugar aren't fluid weights, and are measured by dry weight. That's in pounds/ounces for us, and KG/grams for the rest of the world.

Ignore that, i'm an idiot, i'm not sure where mls came from.

Anyway, how much should I use for 2 Litres

I feel like a retard now :eek:

I try for 3-3.5 lb gallon (3.78L)

so 2 liters, 500-750 grams honey

2 liters is a tiny batch:(

Agreed, I'd step it up to a gallon. That's what I do for experiment batches.

I don't have a gallon jug, so I utilize what I've got and use Coke Bottles, of course I use Wine yeast, can't substitute that.

So, maybe I could use 2 coke bottles and put 500ml in each.

Also, do I have to let it sit for 6 months minimum?

Thank you!

The longer you let it sit, the better it will be. However what are you using for an airlock on the coke bottle. Don't screw the cap on after pitching the yeast and leave it. It will blow up and make a big ugly mess.

Edit: And if you're going to use a ghetto fermenter, why not just use a one gallon water jug? You can get them anywhere full of water for like 50 cents to a dollar.

Haha yes, I've figured that out. I leave the cap loose a bit.

That's a good idea, I'll remember to buy a water jug.

Back