Using fruit extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrivera

Reaction score
I added some plum extract to a Belgian Quad to increase the sweetness right before bottling. It was initially a little bitter, but now it has a slight flavor of cough syrup. I added 4 ounces of extract to a 5 gallon batch. I was wondering if the cough syrup flavor will diminish with bottle conditioning? I was planning to let the bottles sit for at least 12 weeks. Does anyone have any experience or expertise with this type of a problem?

This is an interesting question. I used about 2 ounces into 3 gallons of Chocolate stout. The recipe called for 2 ounces in 5 gallons. I wanted the Cherry to be a little more pronounced than when I had it. When it bottle conditioned for 3 weeks, the Cherry was there, but it was fainter than I remember when I had it from someone else (kegged for 1 week). I am curious...will the fruit come out with more time? I'm afraid it dissapates with time. Does anyone have experience with this and bottle conditioning?

I was an idiot when making a spumoni stout (yes, I made tea out of pistachios for the batch), and to save about 50 cents, bought imitation vanilla instead of the real extract. It ruined the batch.... or so I thought. I had the first one on easter with the family, and it just killed me because the astringent aftertaste reminded me of cleaning solution (if scrubbing bubbles could describe a taste?). I had one last week and it had mellowed out some. I'm thinking that while this beer could probably never be great, the longer I let it condition in the bottle, the more drinkable it will become. I will probably let it sit for at least another month or two before opening another bottle, and I urge you to do the same. Aging has worked miracles for bad batches for me, I suggest you just give it some time. Then again, that is to be said for vanilla; I've never tried imitation fruit flavorings. Let us know what the verdict is down the road though for future brewers' benefit.

Back