stopper exploded off carboy, bits of yeast and beer now on ceiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not worry too much it sounds like you caught it soon enough.

Your brew was producing enough CO2 to give you a pretty good chance at not having any problems.

Quick clean up the mess and then Search "Blow off tube" you should get some results like these

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/what-disadvantages-using-blow-off-tube-47929/

DSCF5214.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

-Jason

It was off for about 3-5 min, but this thing was spewing yeast and foam like a model volcano. I dont think there will be any problems, it was still going like that well after i fixed the clog in my blow off tube

I am a member of the mopping ferementing beer off the ceiling.

You're beer is just fine & dandy, the yeast are having their way with the sugar in the wort.

As others have said, you should be fine. If the ferment is that strong, there's CO2 outgassing from the fermentor and the yeast are going to outcompete anything that may try to get in at this stage.

What kind of beer was it? I find IPA is a frequent flier when it comes to needing a blowoff..

I woke up this morning, and it was all over. I am doing a high OG black IPA knock off. I actually already put a blowoff tube in last night, but I made the most rookie mistake ever (and yes, I am a rookie...this is only my second batch of beer ever!) I brewed with some whole hops and didn't use a hop bag...just left the flowers in the carboy during fermentation. Well, the hops clogged up the tube, and WHAMO! No circulation. I will never make that mistake again! I will take a picture before the ceiling is cleaned and post it...

Back