Pretzel Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a dream last night that I stripped the salt off pretzels and steeped them with the grains and it made an absolutely awesome pretzel beer.

What do you all think? Doable?

Probably use hard pretzels but call it like "Bavarian Pretzel Bock" or Ale or Amber or whatever type of beer the recipe ends up being.

Firstly, you can buy unsalted pretzels. Secondly, you may really stick your sparge. Thirdly, Sourdough all the way!

Mmmm... prezel beer. Maybe some mustard in secondary? :D

Since they were baked, no fermentables will be there, but it might end up being a good thought for a wheat beer recipe. Sub 1/2 the wheat with an equal weight in pretzels.

hummmm....I'm seeing the conversation now
Wife.. " hey,where is that bag of pretzels I just bought?"
Me...." umm....( looking at the mash tun)"
her...." did you........really?" shaking head walking away
Me...." well, technically I will be eating them in three weeks or so"
Me..." Honey....."
Me..." honey....."
Me to dog... " come on boy, lets go get a beer"
Dog...." sounds good, thought she'd never leave"

There are a couple of breweries here who have made beers that taste like pretzels. Solera made one called "Pretzel Logic" for the Portland Cheers to Belgian Beers festival, and The Commons made on called "Myrtle" that worked as well. It can be done without pretzels in the mash too. (Both were sours)

Why not make a Gose with some salt in it and use grains that will contribute a bready flavor and something (no idea what) that would contribute a tartness to mimic the sourdough flavor. I wonder if you could ferment, add more fermentables, and do a small second fermentation with a sourdough starter? I know bread yeast isn't great for beer, but in a small amount? Hmmm...

Anheuser Busch had a pretzel beer at the St. Louis Heritage Festival. It was interesting and my wife liked it. I can't taste diacetyl, but others said it had a lot.

While not pretzel, some friends made a sourdough beer that came out quite well. Definitely not something you see every day haha

Martin House in Fort Worth makes a good a pretzel stout. It's a dry slightly salty beer and I think they just throw in pretzels into the mash.

Back