Wyeast 1338 / WLP011 Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
I’m looking for experiences with this “European Ale” yeast, supposedly a malt-forward low-ester low attenuation yeast.

I’ve been reading Greg Noonan’s Scotch Ale, which has some interesting nuggets worth digging out, but (IMO) a shortage of actual recipes. One such interesting point was that the traditional Scottish brewers were more “continental” in their methods, and did not follow the examples of the British. For example, they often used extended cold storage after brewing – which of course we (and the Germans) call “lagering”.

He also recommends Wyeast 1338, due to its low attenuation which leaves a good residual maltiness. It seems that no one carries this strain, but I do see WLP011 at various online suppliers, and it supposedly is the same. Anybody tried either of these?

BTW I’ve made several batches of Scottish Ale using WLP028. Nothing to complain about there, but I’ve been told that it is so similar to US-05 as to make no difference. I’ve also used US-05 on a Scottish, and can’t really say one way or the other. But now I want to try something different.

Cheers!

Back