Training suggestions for unruly bines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've got some bines that are growing away from my guide strings a bit. So, I'm wondering, what tips do you folks have for getting the bine to train properly in this situation? Should I wait till it gets longer so I can more easily manipulate it?

If a rogue bine isn't long enough to tuck back in line, give it a day.

Keeping bines trained on older plants is like herding cats without the fur and meowing. It's a constant battle of pulling runners, trimming shoots, and training bines. Right now I spend a good hour every couple of days at it, and I only have 15 three year old plants.

Now that I think about it, I'm faced with the reality that over the next two weeks while my wife is towing me around Italy that I'll be returning to a warren of bines. That's going to suck...

Cheers!

Cheers! I actually tried it at the end of the day today (good rain the past couple days and about 80 today) and was able to start the training. I should be good.

Yep I'll just put the strings (or trellice) near the bines and generally let them take care of it. I agree to just let it grow till you can wrap it. They'll take off once they have something to grab on to.

Back