Best Beer Yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isleofman

Reaction score
Eff 70%
OG 1.052
FG 1.013

Crisp Maris Otter 11.25 lb
Crisp Light Crystal (40L) 0.25 lb
Crisp Extra Dark Crystal (120L) 0.25 lb
Weyermann Roasted Barley (435L) 0.1725 lb

Mash @ 153F

Kent Goldings 6.9% Whole @ 60minutes 1.1oz (24 IBU)

WLP004

Ferment @ 66F

This is an Irish Red based on the BCS recipe provided for the style. I applied a lot techniques that I hadn't before and the beer is better for it. Most of the new techniques applied came from the Yeast book. It is highly recommended.

1) I batch sparge and I normally don't do a mash out. This time I did. My beers had often come out thin and I believe it was the 30 minutes or so it took to get my wort up 170 that caused this. I would batch sparge, take 2nd runnings, etc. It wasn't until after all that, that the entire volume of wort collected was heated beyond 170.

2) Made an appropriate sized starter using a stir plate. I crash cooled and decanted the starter, thus pitching mostly slurry.

3) Aerated using pure oxygen.

4) I finally got a chest freezer with a 2 stage temperature controller. Before I was using a Son of a Fermentation Chiller to control fermentation.

5) I am now using a ferm wrap with the 2 stage controller. In my old steup, the temperature of the beer would drop at the end of fermentation because I had no way to heat the fermenter.

6) I started fermentation around 2F below the target fermentation temperature. After signs of fermentation (~18 hours), I bumped the temperature up to the target.

7) At 75% of the way to FG, I started to slowly bump the temp up to 5F over the target fermentation temperature.

8) After two matching hydro samples, 8 Days after pitching the yeast, I crash cooled at 32F for 5 days.

9) On day 2 of crash cooling, I added gelatin. This has produced the clearest beer I have ever brewed.

10) Bottled 13 days after brewing. Added half a pack of fresh, rehydrated US-05 at bottling. The beer was carbed, clear, and drinkable 21 days post fermentation.

First picture is 9 days post bottling (excuse the dirty glass). Second picture is 2.5 weeks.

photo(1).jpg

photo.jpg

Looks VERY good. I've been thinking of tweaking things here and there and I think you may have pushed me to do so.

Good one. It looks good and tasty. Congrats for your nice beer. I never try beer to make it at home. But now I also want to try it.

Back