Tofu in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That paper isn't real accurate or scientific. No cites or anything. Head is not formed by gluten. Not even sure where that came from.

Head is formed by many different factors. Proteins (not just gluten), lipids, complex carbohydrates, etc. Most gluten free grains actually contain way more protein than barley.

Many people on here use maltodextrin or oats for head retention. I use millet. I'm not sure about soy. Its worth a shot. I know many products use soy protein in place of gluten. I would just worry about a stuck sparge because of the increase in protein.

I can't think of a more offputting phrase for a brew than 'try tofu'. If you do it you're a braver man(or woman) than I.

If you're lucky, you might find some torrefied ("puffed" or "popped") gluten-free grains at a health-food store. I brewed a quinoa IPA with a mix of sprouted quinoa, roasted quinoa, torrefied quinoa, and "rice crystal malt cookies" that I made by grinding up some flaked rice, mixing it with amylase and water, and then baking it at low temperature for several hours. That IPA had the most insane head retention of any beer I've ever brewed...it would hold half a finger of head all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Generally, though, maltodextrin gets the job done nicely. Especially in a partial-mash or all-grain brew.

Back