Is This Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli_adler

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question. Some thick gunk settled out to the top 3-4 inches of my primary. I have been reading and i think it is Krausen, but from what I have heard Krausen is more of a foam. Will it sink to the bottom with the dregs? Here are some pictures of my primary fermentor and the gunk that settled out to the top.

IMG_0760[1].jpg

IMG_0758[1].jpg

Perfectly normal...itll stay gunked up there and youll just have to clean it out after you transfer it wherever.

Oh, thanks. That's a relief. When I siphon it to my secondary will it fall to the bottom or just stay at the top?

Oh, thanks. That's a relief. When I siphon it to my secondary will it fall to the bottom or just stay at the top?

Probably a bit of both, from the looks of it. Get a good carboy brush and some oxyclean to get that crud off the neck. I usually soak the carboy for a day or two before attempting to clean it, if at all possible. It makes things go much better.

I usually soak the carboy for a day or two before attempting to clean it, if at all possible. It makes things go much better.

It sure does. I soak mine in hot water with ~1/3 scoop of oxyclean. Normally I don't even have to use the brush.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the yeast. Happened to me once, I sprinkled yeast and had really tight headspace so shaking and stirring down the yeast didn't do much.

When yeast starts to work, it reproduces... growing, in other words. If you haven't mixed it properly with the wort or whatever it's going to choose the path of least resistance - up into the headspace. Once it runs out of space there, it'll push both towards the liquid and the airlock. In my case the airlock got pushed out.

Back