Clean finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
After multiple trips to the craft beer store I finally figured out what my wife doesn't like in a beer. It's a dry finish. I went through 15 different Belgian English ales and milds thinking it was the hops... Today she had a DFH brown ale "liberally hopped" and liked it. I took the bottle and tasted and tasted. Finally it hit me. So, my question is how do I get a clean finish.
What affects the finish and how can I manipulate it?

Mouthfeel or body of a beer comes through in many ways, a few that may help you are a less attenuative yeast strain yielding a thicker terminal gravity, adjunct grains with high protein content to lend palate fullness, and dialing in appropriate carbonation. Too much carbonation kills mouthfeel. Hope this helps somewhat.

What yeast strains are you using? What are the finishing gravities of the beers she is not liking? Have you de-carbed a few beers that she does like to check and compare FG? I'd be more inclined to think it is a yeast choice problem than a water chemistry or process problem.

The DFH Indian brown ale was 7.2% abv, so it seems to lead back to the yeast. So a less attenuative yeast is where I will start. I didn't start a recipe yet. Was going to build around the clean finish mentality and then go based on her flavor preference.

And thank you

This is just a thought. Maybe, its your mash in temp? If your mashing in at 150 degrees try upping that to 152. It won't finish so dry then of course that still depends on the yeast. Wlp001 @ 152-154 mash in isn't to dry. Wlp400 @ 156-158 is very good as well. Last thing don't add any sugar when making beer that will dry it out as well. That's what came to mind when reading this.

Back