Cold spots in HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskoenig34

Reaction score
I have a 5500 Camco element in my converted keg HLT, and noticed that when I add my strike water once it's come to temp, the initial gallon or so is as much as 20 degrees cooler. After taking some temp readings in and around the element, I've come to learn that the water directly under the burner (the element sits about 2-3" from the bottom of the HLT) stays much cooler while the heated water rises.

I'm going to experiment with letting the HLT stay "at temp" for some periods of time to see if the water mixes, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this happen. Maybe I should bend the element so it runs lower along the bottom of the HLT.

You will need some method of mixing the water if you want to keep it uniform. People use motorized paddles, air bubblers, and most often recirculation pumps. Otherwise, you will get stratification regardless of element placement.

You will need some method of mixing the water if you want to keep it uniform. People use motorized paddles, air bubblers, and most often recirculation pumps. Otherwise, you will get stratification regardless of element placement.

Yes, exactly. I have a little motorized stirrer, and my friend lschiavo has tubing and a pump and recirculates his HLT water. There are lots of ways to do it, and they all seem to work well.

Lol I tried to say "I know German too, ok ill see myself out" and settled for "I can find the door myself" :)

Plus I like my Germans bottled or kegged haha

Thanks. I did a little more research on the forums (I don't know how I missed it before), but I'm going to try passedpawn's idea of blowing air into the sight glass with an aquarium pump. Seems like an elegant solution.

It works great.

I imagine you won't be able to get much use out of your sight glass though if it's being used to pump air... granted, as long as you turn off the air while you're reading volumes, I guess it doesn't matter.

Any thoughts on how much heat is lost using this method vs recirculating? I ask only because I remember sitting in a hot tub and turning on the bubbles and you could feel that they were quite cold and would drop the temperature of the hot tub in short order - granted, I'm guessing the elements we're using could maintain the temperature without problem, so long as you set the PID autotune while the bubbler is going.

-Kevin

I imagine you won't be able to get much use out of your sight glass though if it's being used to pump air... granted, as long as you turn off the air while you're reading volumes, I guess it doesn't matter.

Any thoughts on how much heat is lost using this method vs recirculating? I ask only because I remember sitting in a hot tub and turning on the bubbles and you could feel that they were quite cold and would drop the temperature of the hot tub in short order - granted, I'm guessing the elements we're using could maintain the temperature without problem, so long as you set the PID autotune while the bubbler is going.

-Kevin

Right. I have the air hose shoved into the end of a 1/4 in. hose bib. I just dangle it over the edge and the weight keeps it there. Nice big bubbles. Never had a problem with heat loss. It's turned off when I reach my temps then the PID and element keeps the system in check. No need to keep the liquor tank stirring to hold temp after that. :mug:

Latest posts

Back