How long to soak fruit peel in alcohol before adding to the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to add some lemon peel to the secondary when I rack the beer. I have two questions:

1. How long to soak fruit peel in alcohol before adding to the secondary? I recall reading that overnight is enough time but as my wife tells me I could be wrong.

2. Does it matter what type of alcohol is used for soaking the peel? I have some very cheap vodka that I use in my airlocks but I wonder if this would be a bad choice for soaking peel.

I made a jalapeño beer and soaked the japs overnight in the extremely cheap vodka I use for my airlocks.
I did not add the liquid because I wanted to minimize the heat, but adding the vodka wouldn't hurt anything.

I zested the lemon and then squeezed out as much juice as possible. This was placed in a sanitized jar with some absolute vodka. I will probably add it to the secondary after 24 hours.

Alcohol won't matter...longer the better. Randy Mosher suggests 1-2 weeks. I used to think it was overkill until I started making vodka (not distilling but soaking bubblegum or starburst in it) The difference in soaking those things from 1 day to 14 or even 21 was so drastic it convinced me to go 2 weeks minimum all the time

Back