Mini mash 90 min IPA recipe dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota21601

Reaction score
Well, started brewing with a mini mash version of the Dogfish 90. I know....first home brew and I jump right into a mini with a 90 min hop rate every 7.5 min with 1 hr 45 min boil.....yeah, I know.....didn't really realize what I was getting into until I got it home. BUT, I did have a friend I have brewed with some come over for coaching, but made him let me do it all for the experience.

So, long story short, the brew, boil, primary went great. Better than I had initially thought it would, but now I have transferred to my secondary carboy and have a question simply about the recipe itself.

The recipe states to dry hop for 3-5 days in the secondary at 71F. Okay, that's easy, I can just do that before I bottle. BUT, then it says to cool to 32F. So that's where I get confused. Can someone relate to me the timeline from throwing the dry hops on what day in the secondary to bottling and letting carbonate at room temp for weeks? Where does the cooling it to 32F fit in right? Hope that makes sense.

I am excited though. It is at 8.1% transferring it to the secondary. Smells good, looks good, etc. Just want to get my ducks in a row to finish it. Thanks!

Anyone....? A buddy and I were thinking that it is a 3-5 day hop dividing the hops over the full time frame and then chilling until bottling? Maybe to render the yeast dormant for a time? But I don't want to skunk the beer either getting it cold then warm again. So need some input of some experts......

The recipe is describing a cold crash after dry hopping, an optional step to help with clarity. Feel free to skip it, or if you want to include it throw the hops in about 5-7 days before you plan to bottle, then crash it to 32* for 1-2 days. Bottle then let them warm back up and sit at room temp to carbonate. The idea that beer will become skunked by getting it cold then warm is a myth.

Plenty of yeast left in suspension even if its not as visible. If it was a RIS and going to age in secondary for 6 months, might want to add some more, but otherwise, you're good to go.

Yep. Many folks sucsessfully carb their lagers without adding extra yeast even after lagering for several wks.
:mug:

Back