Hows this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike99

Reaction score
Before sending this into my keg. About 3 weeks in primary. Tasted pretty good. Belgian IpA kit with Belgian liquid yeast. Anything to be concerned with or just hop gunk? I did strain before putting into bucket.

image-3478749234.jpg

It's just leftover krausen from the fermentation. As long as gravity is stable which it should be then you are good to go.

Agreed looks normal. Just yeast crud. Now... What do you mean by strain? I line my bucket with a sanitized nylon cheese cloth, if your doing much more than something like that your risking oxidizing your beer.

Thanks all. SG was good to go and readings ended up spot on. By straining I meant pouring the hot wort through a sanitized metal strainer. Had lots of hops gunk in the last batch and read a few tips on how to avoid.

Beer tasted fine and color is good so this rocks. Also getting some 2008 world wide stout and some KBS among other goodies today makes this a great day.

High krausen paste. Not sure if it is hop gunk. Did you dry hop? Anyway, that looks like normal fermentation. Siphon and bottle that critter.

bigmike99 said:
Thanks all. SG was good to go and readings ended up spot on. By straining I meant pouring the hot wort through a sanitized metal strainer. Had lots of hops gunk in the last batch and read a few tips on how to avoid.

Beer tasted fine and color is good so this rocks. Also getting some 2008 world wide stout and some KBS among other goodies today makes this a great day.

Good stuff!! FWIW I used to use a metal strainer then switched to using a cheesecloth or paint strainer and I was amazed how much more stuff I filtered out.

Looks like that krausen ring def has some hop gunk in it. just leave it & rack to the keg,looks fine to me. My Maori IPA looked about the same,but clearer on top & less floaters left when I dry hopped yesterday. so you're green & go.

Thanks again. Using the metal strainer worked wonders compared to the first 2 batches I did. First kit was a gift and a hefe and still tastes awful. Holding out hope some day it will improve.

Back