Crazy Idea, Need Your Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
Brewed a saison for the beach and will likely force carb it. Typically, I turn the pressure up to 20 PSI and roll the keg for 20 minutes. However, since I am driving to the beach and I have a tow basket on my car, do you think it would work if I hook up the keg and stow it on the tow rack letting the CO2 dissolve into solution with every bump in the road.

I'm a set it and forget it guy. 100% perfect carb every time.

Any shaking of the keg is guesstimating at best. For every one guy that says he gets it right, there are 100 that overcarb.

Do what you want, but without controls and repeatable process, you are really just shooting in the dark and hoping you hit the proper carbonation. Pass.

i'd be worried that the CO2 bottle will tip over somehow and ruin the regulator or worse put liquid CO2 in the keg and kaboom... busted keg.

While it might work, too many things could go wrong. Plus, your beer should be cold when you carbonate, not "on the back of your car in the sun" warm. I wouldn't.

beer should be cold when you carbonate, not "on the back of your car in the sun" warm.
Hmm, first time I've heard that.
I disagree.
I can think of lots of reasons why you shouldn't drive while hooked to Co2, but not because it's bad.
The first REAL reason that comes to mind is it's illegal... high pressure tanks need to be transported with the reg removed, the valve turned off, and the protective cover in place.
Personally, I carb warm.
The beer absorbs Co2 better when warm, and my rutine is to carb at 68F and 30psi for 24 hours. Then place in the fridge at serving pressure. 24 hrs later it's close, and within a couple of days it's perfect. YMMV.

I don't doubt your process works just fine for you, but beer does not absorb CO2 better when warm. CO2 is much more soluble in cold beer. 30psi at 68 degrees would be roughly equal to 12psi at 40 degrees.

+ 1. I don't even keg, but this is a fact.

I don't doubt your process works just fine for you, but beer does not absorb CO2 better when warm. CO2 is much more soluble in cold beer. 30psi at 68 degrees would be roughly equal to 12psi at 40 degrees.

Hah, you're right.
I guess that's why I never get over carbed beer.

Latest posts

Back