One cream ale, one keg,10 bottles 2 completely different taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks_r_us

Reaction score
First sorry for the Novel.

This is my second beer, first all grain. Simple Cream Ale with maris otter, carapils, biscuit and corn. ~16IBU

I filled 10 bottles and kegged the rest of a 5 gal batch.
My keg does not taste like my bottle at All. Seems like two completely different Ale.

I did something wrong somewhere, and would like to know what. I have an AG stout ready to keg now. I don't want to reproduce the same mistake. I need to figure out what happened before I keg the Stout.

The cream ale in bottles have a nice caramel predominant taste and smooth malty finish with very little hops.

The keg as a weird off taste, Mostly in the beginning not metallic but way more acidic than the bottles. The middle seems less acidic and the finish is nice and hoppy, better finish to my taste than the bottles, more Hops :). I noticed the off taste seems to be coming from foam. If you let it sit the weird taste seem to go attenuate but not completely. There is NO caramel taste at all in the Kegged version.

Here what I did before kegging . No cold crash from the primary to the bottles.
I Did my 10 Bottles first then my filled corny keg , it was 3/4 full. I plugged the Co2 for 24H at 30 psi 68F.
At the time I did not have a fridge to put my keg in so it stayed to ~68 for 2 weeks. No Co2 hooked untouched or moved.

My keg has no purge valve on lid. I have to purge from the inlet. How I do this is by opening the Co2 at 10 PSI to the keg for 10 sec than unplug to hose purge completely 4-5 times. I than bumped the pressure to 30 psi and let it that way for 24h hours, before disconnecting the co2 for 2 weeks.

My bottles are 500ml Grolsh bottles with Cooper carbo pills. I added 1 1/2 pill per bottles. been sitting for 3 weeks at ~70F before chilling.

I think the bottles is what the beer should be tasting.
I did Overcarbed the Keg 2 weeks after kegging before I chilled it . Took me 2 days without Co2 to get it dialed right.

How do I don't screw up my Stout now ?:drunk:

It sounds like carbonic acid "bite" in the keg, from blasting it with 30 psi of c02 and disconnecting and from overcarbing.

Do you have a cold place, like a kegerator, to store the beer at a simple 10 psi? It needs some time to equalize and mellow the co2 bite.

If you don't have a purge valve, just use a pen or something to poke down on the "gas in" post and that will purge the co2 in the keg.

I now have a Kegerator since Sunday. For the last 2 days it's been at 10psi with a temperature of ~38f. No more foam issue, but same weird acidic taste in the beginning and middle. No caramel taste. Carbonation in the Keg seems fine to me. Slightly more than the bottles, but they seems weak to me, only been cold for 24h

I now have a Kegerator since Sunday. For the last 2 days it's been at 10psi with a temperature of ~38f. No more foam issue but same weird acidic taste in the beginning and middle. No caramel taste

It should settle down, then. That "acidic taste" has got to be from the carbonic acid bite.

Back