Bitter wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsterbud

Reaction score
I made a batch of welch's grape juice wine it tastes kinda bitter I've sweetened it a little but it's still bitter ... Is there much I can do to help?

I made a batch of welch's grape juice wine it tastes kinda bitter I've sweetened it a little but it's still bitter ... Is there much I can do to help?

Bitter? That seems really odd. Was there anything unusual in the ingredients, or in the water? I've never had a bitter flavor in any of my wines that didn't use spices or things like that, so I'm at a loss.

Bitter? That seems really odd. Was there anything unusual in the ingredients, or in the water? I've never had a bitter flavor in any of my wines that didn't use spices or things like that, so I'm at a loss.

OP, how long has it been fermenting?

I've heard the flavor comes back around and the bitter taste fades away. I've got a similar problem with Hard cider.

brewsterbud said:

Your recipe, age of wine, ect would help us figure out what is wrong... Help us help you!

It's just welch's grape juice I added about a cup of sugar and a packet of yeast it's been fermenting about a month

What yeast did you use? If it is a low flocculation type yeast like bread yeast or such then it may not be completely clear yet.

Arpolis said:
What yeast did you use? If it is a low flocculation type yeast like bread yeast or such then it may not be completely clear yet.

So I just let it set till the yeast settles to the bottom and siphon it?

brewsterbud said:
So I just let it set till the yeast settles to the bottom and siphon it?

Yep. Once the yeast is done consuming sugar, it dies off, settles at the bottom and the wine starts to clear. Taste will begin to improve.

Back