bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nman13

Reaction score
I bottled my cider 5 days ago and put them in the dishwasher to pasteurize today. By the end of the cycle bottles (4 out of about 60) began to explode.

My theory is that the dishwasher got warm but not hot causing the yeast to become more active which caused more carbonation.

I figured id just put them all in the fridge so i wouldn't have to worry about pasteurizing. My problem now is that im worried these bottles are so carbonated that if I move them they will explode. If i leave them in the dishwasher they will eventually explode with more time.

Can i move these bottles from the dishwasher to the fridge or is it too dangerous?

Wear safety goggles! Can pasteurizing be done before bottling? I envision a large vat (pot) heating the cider. Then bottling after reaching desired pasteurization temperature. Would this not work? And yes, I most definitely believe the yeast got very active in those sealed bottles due to the added heat. Be careful!

I'm only spitballing here, but I would think that even a normal cycle (not sanitize) on a dishwasher would get up close to 140ºF. At that temp, I can't imagine they would "vigorously" carbonate in the short amount of time it took for the water to reach 140ºF. At 120º you should start to degrade the cell walls and at 140º they should start to die off. Maybe not all of them, but enough to shock everybody in the "pool". I supposed anything is possible though.

Did you open one to test it before you put them in the fridge?

How long dis the dishwasher run for? I pasteurise mine for just over 2 hours at 40-50deg celsius (100-120F). I run it on a cycle that is a 70 deg cycle but due to 6 gallons of bottled cider inside, the temp only reaches between 40-50. Pasteurisation will still occur at lower temps but only when exposed for a longer time. Maybe run your brew through two or more consecutive cycles.

I monitored my dishwasher temps using a cheap digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire - eBay for a couple of bucks...

I like using the dishwasher as the water temp gradually increases and avoids the shock of the stove top dunking...

I too use the dishwasher and so far no continued carbonation on even my sweetest ciders. How long did you Carb before running through the dish washer?

ssuchem said:
I too use the dishwasher and so far no continued carbonation on even my sweetest ciders. How long did you Carb before running through the dish washer?

Depends on the brew - still monitor carb level with a plastic bottle before pasteurising. My Caramel Apple only needed a few days where I live due to heat, other less sweet brews took a week or two.

Back