cutting a hole in my fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikea

Reaction score
hi all,

so I've just started building my own bar at home and got this crappy little fridge off the internet..

Now, this is the fridge that I'll be turning into a Tower Kegerator for the bar but I don't want the tower to come from the top of the fridge (the size is uncomfortable and just looks bad)

what I'd like to do, is to cut a hole in the side of the fridge and keep it under the bar so that the line would go from the fridge and to the tower on the bar.

is that possible? and if so, how would I fix up the hole so that it'd stay cool?

/sorry for any bad grammar, not my first language :eek:

You could run your beer lines out of the "crappy little fridge" through one hole in the side connected to some well-insulated PVC piping that runs up to the base of your bar tower, then continues back to a second hole in the fridge. Add a small fan to move air into the piping (and returning via the other end) and you could be in good shape.

You'll need to do some checking to make sure there aren't any coolant lines under the skin on the side, but if this is a mini-fridge it's rare to have lines on the sides...

Cheers!

Actually it is fairly common to have lines in the sides of mini fridges. Search for ways to find lines. The easiest is to make a paste with rubbing alcohol and corn starch then paint it in the fridge while unplugged. Then plug it in and look for it to evaporate where there are lines due to heat

As far as what day tripper said is a good way to keep the lines cold. Another way if you have the room is to use a small submersible aquarium pump in a bucket of cold water to recirculate cold water in the pvc pipe

All new mini fridges have the lines on the sides. They are always touching the skin so if you cut a hole in the plastic on the inside and stick your finger through the foam you can locate them easily.

Back