Bigger batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHalfStash

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 10 gallon stainless steel boiling pot typically used for cooking. Any tips on moving from 5 gallon batches to 10? Do I just double all the ingredients? Two fermenters or one giant one? Any words of wisdom would be helpful.

Just double your ingredients. Scaling recipes really works pretty well!

As for your fermenters, I still like to use 2 separate vessels as it opens up possibilities for experimentation. I can add different yeasts to each one, or I can dry hop one and not the other. It also has a hidden benefit that if one container gets infected, I only lose half of the 10 gallon batch.

Recently acquired a 10 gallon stainless steel boiling pot typically used for cooking. Any tips on moving from 5 gallon batches to 10? Do I just double all the ingredients? Two fermenters or one giant one? Any words of wisdom would be helpful.

A 10 gallon pot is the perfect size for 5 gallon all grain batches. A typical 5 gallon batch starts out at 6.5-7 gallons pre boil. The remaining space gives you some breathing room to avoid boilovers. On the other hand if you are doing extract or partials and topping off a 10 gallon pot will serve you well. For full boil 10 gallon batches a minimum kettle size should be at least 15 gallons or better yet 20. Another very useful tool is brewing software. For about 20 bucks you can scale recipes and adjust for your setup. Good luck and happy brewing.

Back