FIRST TIME planting hops. 10-rhizomes in ground. Trellis next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
This is my first time run at a hops crop. I consider myself an experienced gardner and feel confident that I will be able to grow a decent crop in a few years.

I have decided to use a Christmas tree style trellis with a 'twist'. The twist is that I will use top rails used in fencing (about 1 1/2" diameter) for the center pole. Those posts are strong, and are about 10' 6" long.

I want the center to be about 16' total height. Therefore, I will purchase a second pole, and pound that baby into the ground a few feet with about 6' above ground. They make nice connectors for 2-sections of posts. This will give me the 16' of height, and bolts will keep the connection strong.

Lastly the bolts will enable me to remove the top 10' section of post and store for the winter. There are end caps that fit nicely (can bolt or screw on for more secure. This will be a good base to tie twine onto.

Anyone else used fence rails for their xmas hops trellis?

Back