Need feedback on partial mash smoked porter recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicCody

Reaction score
Hey guys. As the old cliche goes: this is my first post here, so be gentle.

I'm looking at doing a partial mash smoked porter, and mainly wanted to run a couple recipes by some people who knew what they were looking at. This will only be the second partial mash brew that my brew buddy and I have cooked up, so I'm mainly basing my ideas off of a style of beer that I like and primarily just copying other recipes that Google turns up. We would like for our porter to be very dark and pretty smoky with a fair amount of sweetness and very little bitterness.

Here is the main recipe that I'm considering copying, and I would appreciate any suggestions for tweaking it:

4lb 2oz American two-row pale
4lb Briess DME Golden Light
1lb 3oz American Crystal Dark (77L)
11oz Chocolate Malt
5oz Simpson's Peat Smoked Malt

1.9oz Perle 60 min
.5oz Mount Hood 15 min

Dry English Ale Yeast (WLP007), liquid

I'm considering adding a bit more peat smoked malt and I am also not sure what kind of peat smoked malt is at the LHBS. Ideally, I'd like to replace some of the American two-row with 6-8oz of Rauch (more smokiness!) and possibly 4oz of Black Patent (just to balance sweetness a bit). I'm also considering reducing the early hop addition fairly significantly (minus %33 or %50) and in exchange possibly increase late hop addition a bit. I'm not really that familiar with either type of hops, though, so some input would be appreciated...

Thanks for the patience. What do you guys think?
:rockin:

It's very easy to over-do the peat smoked malt. For some more complex smoke, I'd keep the 5oz, but maybe add 1/4 lb of Briess Smoked, or upwards of a pound of Weyermann Smoked (one, not both). Regardless, the recipe is fairly simple and will work great.

As far as bitterness, I would probably cut the 60 minute addition in half. That's fairly bitter, without considering you're using a highly attenuative yeast. Maybe keep the yeast, and do 1oz of Perle. But keep the Mt Hood addition, as smoke flavor is actually brought out by some late addition hopping.

Back