Bachelor party...it was awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Brewers,

I write this letter to you tonight after my first bachelor party...that's right I said first! My old man is one of five and they(meaning my Dad and his four brothers) collectively decided to take me out this evening and celebrate their favorite son/nephew and his marriage in six weeks!

We talked about everything tonight including beer, which led to a very interesting conversation...they know nothing about beer!

One of my uncles actually tried to tell me that Heineken is what real men drink and all that Other stuff is girlie! I literally thought my brother was going to choke him out! The Restaraunt we went too had an exceptionally poor beer selection and our waiter tried unsuccessfully to describe the benefits of drinking BMC, I just shook my head in disgust.

Now, I know that some people just like to drink BMC and I respect that but saying the beer I like is girlie is just not called for! I tried explaining to my misguided uncle that beer comes in all colors, flavors and styles but it was like talking to brick wall!

My question to you folks, is how do you deal with it? I love my uncles and dad more than anything and we all enjoy busting each others balls, but on this night couldn't I get one night where I don't get called a woman for the beer I love?

Is it really too much to ask?

For open-minded folks, I have taken them to a large, well-stocked liquor store (BEVMO) and showed them all the rich "history" of brewing sitting on the shelves, dating back hundreds of years. We buy several different bottles, go home, and find out what they like and don't like. Maybe you'll convert someone from beer-drinker to beer-lover. For the not-so-open-minded, roll your eyes, then RDWHAHB.

No offense, but why did they take a beer lover to a place that had a piss poor beer selection? Wasn't this supposed to be YOUR party?

My only advice is to not even be concerned about it.

Here's why- my dad appreciated me making great beer and enjoying it, but he actually called my beer 'that homebrewed ****' and made fun of my "fancy beer". One time, he was coming for a visit so I made some cream ale way in advance and lagered it. I created him at the door with a cold one, and he and my brother kicked that keg that day! The next day, they bought some Budweiser since I was out of cream ale since they didn't like anything else. He had a habit of drinking out of the can of his beer, and turning the tab to the side. And then saving it for later if he didn't finish it.

Whenever I went to visit him we would go to a beer bar and I'd get my 'fancy ****' and he'd get a Bud. He laughed about me going to Minneapolis to take my BJCP tasting exam to be a judge, but he was proud underneath.

I got a call on January 3 that he had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away.

I flew down there immediately, arriving about 18 hours after he was found. In the fridge was 1/2 can of beer, with the tab turned. My brother and sister-in-law each grabbed a cheapie can of beer, and held up my dad's unfinished beer and that was the last beer I had with my dad.

Even though he drank beer I don't care for, I will always have those memories have sharing a few beers with my dad at ball games, parties, and while we watched TV.

I would do anything right now to have him back, sitting with me drinking his **** beer.

When you think of it that way, how lucky you are to have 4 uncles and your dad to go out with and support you and drink a beer with them! For that, I'd choke down a half dozen Bud Lights, and call it good.

Both my fathers & mothers are gone. they are def sorely missed. Pop & I were bar room buddies as well,since we both worked at Ford & rode together. So many times I wished he was still here to try my home brew. My buddies were saving their extra money to throw me a batchlor party. My older brother talked them into buying beer & weed to get him & them drunk/stoned. Gee,thanks bro. Friggin A'hole...

Shrug your shoulders, chuckle inside, and have a real man's beer.

Fixed that for you :D
I think a lot of these issues come down to people's understanding of what craft beer is. Yopper said it well when her dad and brother kicked a keg of homebrew cream ale in a day (impressive feat!), when normally they would drink it over their BMC.
With so many fruit wheat beers out there I can see how the uninitiated could be convinced that craft beer is all about hiding the beer flavour behind some fruitiness, and it being a girlie drink because of that.
I suggest you do as Yopper did, maybe brew up a nice cream ale / blonde and give them each a 4 pack as a thank you for taking you out. Just say it is a light beer you brewed that is probably as close to BMC as you would want to go. It might just change their preconcieved ideas about craft.
Unless they are just ragging on you cause is so much fun to rile you up about your "girlie craft/homebrew beer" :D

Unless they are just ragging on you cause is so much fun to rile you up about your "girlie craft/homebrew beer" :D

Yeah, well, my idea of the perfect "girlie beer" is Hoppin' Frog's Triple IPA. Tell them that- they'd faint dead away from the power of the "girlie beer!" :cross:

JeffoC6 said:
No offense, but why did they take a beer lover to a place that had a piss poor beer selection? Wasn't this supposed to be YOUR party?

Their intentions were good, the food was GREAT, the beer not so much, two outta three ain't bad

mattd2 said:

Yes, that's basically it, they enjoy rilling me up...but I had a great time!

Yooper, I am definitely thankful for my Dad and Uncles it's just embarrassing that they don't like the same beer is all, after all I was :drunk:

Yes, that's basically it, they enjoy rilling me up...but I had a great time!

Yooper, I am definitely thankful for my Dad and Uncles it's just embarrassing that they don't like the same beer is all, after all I was :drunk:

Oh, I know. And I didn't mean to pick on you at all! But, really, 10 years from now when one (or more) of them may be gone, you'll laugh about them drinking all that **** beer and expecting you to do the same. :D

My dad always criticized my "fancy beer". Always. And my homebrew. But now I think of it fondly, him drinking a Budweiser while I lamented the choices!

Well, Sammy, who's to say they are not right and you're wrong? It's all a matter of perspective. To them, it might seem like you are pushing the fact that you have better taste, or more simply, are better than them. I'm sure they just want what they are used to.

A guy at work owns a bar downtown. We went there after a big school event to unwind and he came and sat down next to us and he called me a F*&n Fancy Beer <something or other>. See, he likes his beer, "Like sex on a beach. F*&n next to water!" to use his word. That's what he likes and that what he sells. And I can tell you almost all of the people who hang out at his bar drink the same 3-4 beers (You know which ones...)

No point in getting upset at what others like. They are the ones who are missing out on the vast array of craft beer experiences. Let them live their dream.

And I agree that it might have been more thoughtful if they had taken you out to a place with craft beer, but they did take you out, and hopefully paid your tab. I'd have focused more on having a good time with them and forgetting about the lack of good beer. Just make your snide comments and jokes about their poor taste and choke down a couple of the most flavorful beers they had to offer.

Life is too short to drink crappy beer, but it's also too short to miss out on the good times with family and friends. you can get back at them by taking each one out to a fancy place and making them drink some IPAs...

My only advice is to not even be concerned about it.

Here's why- my dad appreciated me making great beer and enjoying it, but he actually called my beer 'that homebrewed ****' and made fun of my "fancy beer". One time, he was coming for a visit so I made some cream ale way in advance and lagered it. I created him at the door with a cold one, and he and my brother kicked that keg that day! The next day, they bought some Budweiser since I was out of cream ale since they didn't like anything else. He had a habit of drinking out of the can of his beer, and turning the tab to the side. And then saving it for later if he didn't finish it.

Whenever I went to visit him we would go to a beer bar and I'd get my 'fancy ****' and he'd get a Bud. He laughed about me going to Minneapolis to take my BJCP tasting exam to be a judge, but he was proud underneath.

I got a call on January 3 that he had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away.

I flew down there immediately, arriving about 18 hours after he was found. In the fridge was 1/2 can of beer, with the tab turned. My brother and sister-in-law each grabbed a cheapie can of beer, and held up my dad's unfinished beer and that was the last beer I had with my dad.

Even though he drank beer I don't care for, I will always have those memories have sharing a few beers with my dad at ball games, parties, and while we watched TV.

I would do anything right now to have him back, sitting with me drinking his **** beer.

When you think of it that way, how lucky you are to have 4 uncles and your dad to go out with and support you and drink a beer with them! For that, I'd choke down a half dozen Bud Lights, and call it good.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm crying at my desk, but hiding it from my coworkers isnt easy.

Find the most hoppy and high alcohol beer you can and tell him to drink it. If he can't call him a girl.

Last time someone called me a girl for drinking was because I called it a night after drinking 6 IIPAs and he was on like 8 MGD 64s. And he called me a girl. Next time we met I brought a case of Yuengling and we went beer for beer, and I wrecked him. I drink 16 of the beers in the case and he couldn't even finish 8.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm crying at my desk, but hiding it from my coworkers isnt easy.

Me too, James.

I miss him so badly. Thanks for your empathy- I appreciate it!

If he was still in Ohio, sitting in his damn chair watching that stupid NASCAR (and Nationwide circuit), I would happily buy him cases and cases of Genny Cream Ale. And drink them with him. And I would love it.

Word yoop. I wish pop was still around to share some beers etc with. I miss how he always brought me a bottle of Beam's Choice for my birthday.

I would be more pissed that they didn't take you to the "gentlemen's club". Its not a bachelor party without licentious women rubbing their dirty arses all over you. Imean....in 'Merica thats how we do it!

I hate "gentlemen's clubs." Its the adult equiv. of giving a kid a metric ton of candy and then forcing them to sit through Chelsea Handler reciting the phone book without figeting.

I have 0 farking clue who chelsea handler is...probably why I like to attend bachelor parties where there's naked wimmens....I have never frequented strip clubs, only really gone for bachelor parties, but have had some great times in the process. Its pretty funny to sick a group of strippers on a guy thats about to devote his life to a woman. the whole thing is full of laughs. especially if there's a particularly fat/unattractive girl working. sick-em!
I need a whip smiley to place here

Honestly, I can't think of anything I would like less... other than perhaps a celebratory arse-kicking. I made my best man, who is a woman coincidentally, promise she wouldnt go that route.

Back