5 Gallon Hop Trellis Designs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So today I got bored and drew up the two most feasible designs I could think of for a trellis for growing hops in a 5 gal bucket. Due to many constraints in my backyard, this will have to do for now. I'll have the buckets sitting up about 4 feet in the air by the fence and I'll obviously drill holes in the bottom to allow water out.

What do you guys think about this idea? Got any suggestions for improvement or any other ideas for trellis designs?? I'm excited to try this out this year! Sorry about my drawing skills :p

image-3418096748.jpg

I'd say, definitely go with something twine-based, unless you plan on replacing that lattice fence every year. I grow hops on my balcony (yard? in San Francisco? what's that?), cutting down even just a few side-arms I'd let grow onto the balcony rail was a big PITA, while it only took a minute to cut down the main bines, twine and all, and throw the whole kit and kaboodle in the compost (this is with sisal twine; nylon rope would complicate this plan).

I love the idea, but I thought hops would need something much larger for the roots?

Back