Can't Anyone Take a Joke?! Some Differences...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are a number of stories circulating from the past few days about high arsenic levels in beer

easy to see why your "joke" was not funny

So if I am working with RO water, what ppm arsenic should I be shooting for? I usually add 1 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp cacl2 per five gallons... I want to do, like, a Triple IPA -- should I add triple the arsenic?

Just filter your beer with diatomaceous earth like the Germans do and you will add the perfect amount of arsenic to your beer.

:mug:

I'm very concerned.

Just on my second brew now, and everyone that has tasted my first brew has survived so far. I have access to some analytical equipment and I can find NO arsenic compounds in my first beer, and worse, in my second beer!

I knew I was going to be no good at this hobby.

You apparently missed the joke as well.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who post here that don't know what reddit is. I assumed you were one of them and extended you the courtesy of a link.

In order for your response to qualify as an obvious joke, you need to be more sensational in the context of this forum.

If you made the same post on 4chan, I would have known you were joking and wouldn't have laughed. :cross:

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who post here that don't know what reddit is. I assumed you were one of them and extended you the courtesy of a link.

In order for your response to qualify as an obvious joke, you need to be more sensational in the context of this forum.

If you made the same post on 4chan, I would have known you were joking and wouldn't have laughed. :cross:

4chan?

Don't even Google it, if you don't already know what it is.

Sad, twisted young men post deviant things there. It's the Sodom and Gomorrah of the internet for frustrated, computer savvy dudes who never get laid. The forum "B" is an offshoot of 4chan and is one step lower in morality.

Both sites WILL use your IP against you!

Don't even Google it, if you don't already know what it is.

Sad, twisted young men post deviant things there. It's the Sodom and Gomorrah of the internet for frustrated, computer savvy dudes who never get laid. The forum "B" is an offshoot of 4chan and is one step lower in morality.

Both sites WILL use your IP against you!

I don't need to google it, I'm a mod there too. I should have used a ;) BTW, I see you use the same name here and there... Hey Randy!

The internet is the worst form of communication possible. Courtesy of the Internet forum.

No matter who makes the forum, no matter how they engineer and design the forum, no matter how many up or down votes are given, no matter the abuse and false promises they put on college interns cranking out the code to make the forums. The interaction of personalities across the globe is just no match for a measly forum.

No matter that our brains are the best computers ever invented (created? evolved?), we just weren't meant to communicate sanely without the application of law and repercussion (I'm not talking down-votes or banning or artificially holding you to your IP address...). If laws were applied to the Internet the execution chamber would be booked for the next couple hundred years.

The problem is I'd be first in line.

Well yea... the internet was designed to communicate facts for scientists, which probably works quite well for that rigid personality type... but isn't that insanely boring... Of course if people know each other in real life it also makes Internet communication more enjoyable... Imagine sending a postage paid letter to someone in a different state in response to their forum message, this helps keep me in line... sometimes... Ever play an online game, they now have live voice over IP in the game so you can actually talk and communicate, to conquer advanced content... (I no longer play on-line games, but I digress...)

Silly! Everyone knows you fight poison with poison. I say 1 mg of cyanide per gallon.

Why!! When you use words like ars-nik and cy-anide the government computers will flag this forum now. We are probably now on some watch list. Oh no!! Putting my aluminium foil hat now. Better also do more doomsday prepping. Lol << c it works. Its a big joke.

homebrewdad said:
For the record, I'm sufferingcubsfan on reddit - aka the guy who questioned your joke as ignorance/trolling. I did come back and edit my post (clearly marking it as an edit), stating that I had missed option three - that this was a joke.

I love a good joke. I missed the fact that this was a joke.

That being said, I think that's the kind of joke that would fly here on HBT in a thread with experienced members. On the other hand, that reddit post was from a rank newbie who *might* have had a tiny dot of mold in his beer, who was worried that the beer smelled terrible in the fermenter when he stuck his head down and breathed straight CO2.

Reddit is a notorious home for people who screw with other people, which is how the post seemed. Sorry to have taken it the wrong way, and next time, I'll preface my comments with "if this isn't a joke...".

But man, newbies worry enough about ruining batches as is. I'm not sure that you need to crack jokes about poisons in the beer due to a process flaw. I promise that somebody will believe you.

Cheers, man. I like your style. I only posted it here to see what HBT'rs thought. Interestingly, the OP and I have been having a pretty good conversation today... he thought it was a joke from the beginning.

terrapinj said:
there are a number of stories circulating from the past few days about high arsenic levels in beer

easy to see why your "joke" was not funny

Easy to see why this joke is

Lol j/k ;)

Wait... really?

Cheers, man. I like your style. I only posted it here to see what HBT'rs thought. Interestingly, the OP and I have been having a pretty good conversation today... he thought it was a joke from the beginning.

Well good on him for having a better joke detector than me. :cross:

Not getting into the topic of whether the joke was in bad taste (sorry for the pun) or not, but I'm sure we all know that it wasn't the arsenic that caused the stink, it was probably an overabundance of dihydrogen monoxide in his alcohol.

So if I am working with RO water, what ppm arsenic should I be shooting for? I usually add 1 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp cacl2 per five gallons... I want to do, like, a Triple IPA -- should I add triple the arsenic?

2x is generally enough. I've experimented with my arsenic additions, trying anywhere from 2 -5 times and was unable to tell the difference. Based on this, any more than 2x is just a waste of arsenic, and given the price these days, I'm all about preventing waste.

Edit: just to be clear - this post is meant to further the joke. Please do not add arsenic to any food/beverage... ever.

I kind of feel, if they're going to base their decision to stay or leave the hobby on a single internet comment without further research, then maybe, just maybe mind you, it might be best then for them to leave the hobby. ;)

Don't know how, but the quote in italics was not my statement, "for the record" as they say.:confused:

Teromous said:
I've found a little side-humor in the fact that a person who types in reddit and greets people with "Word, man" didn't know what trolling was.

I'm confused. Word, man (<- Vanilla Ice).

OMG. I brew ARSENIC???? I gave it to my friends and family. I can't take the guilt. I'm doing it. Ill kill myself by drinking all of my arsenic beer myself. Good bye world

People are too sensitive these days. Just look straight, make no eye contact, and don't say anything. It could be misinterpreted. Maybe we should all work from home and don't leave the house? Sad:(

Hey, I resemble that remark! I work from home and don't leave the house! Got the monitor set right between the fermenters and the cases of bottled beer.

And anyway, cleaning your tubing with WD-40 neutralizes arsenic from yeast packs.

Science has just discovered there may have been homosexual dinosaurs: the gay megasoreass has been found, but they are still looking for the lesbian likkalottapuss

To those who may have viewed this JOKE on Reddit, what say you?

Not over-the-top enough to be clearly a joke. You need to intensify satire if you expect it to be detected in written word.

The reaction you got is what I'd expect.

Edit: Ugh, who dug up this thread?

5895e8c6_arise_dead_thread.jpeg

Back