Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefzilla

Reaction score
If I add apples to my wort while it's boiling will they act like a fermentable and make the ABV% higher?
Also, if I use mollasses or honey as a fermentable, when do I add them?
In the boiling wort, or in the fermentation bucket before I pitch the yeast?

To get the best results from fruit clean, freeze and puree them before adding them to secondary.

Adding apple slices to your boil should produce some fermentable sugar but all taste would probably ferment out.

I added honey in the boil, but at the very-very end of it. Basically to thin it out and easily incorporate with the liquid. I would think adding honey into secondary would fall straight to the bottom and do very little if anything.

I added honey in the boil, but at the very-very end of it. Basically to thin it out and easily incorporate with the liquid. I would think adding honey into secondary would fall straight to the bottom and do very little if anything.

Yup, If I were to add it to secondary I'd try to thin it out with some sterile warm water.

Give the yeast some credit!! Ever watch an aggressive fermentaion taking place? The yeast are flying all around sinking to bottom before catapulting to the top...

I do ALL my maple/honey/candi sugar additions at the 2/3 sugar break.
Dump it straight into the fermentor and the yeast take care of the mixing!

Its amazing how much flavor/aromatics you can get out of these additions by applying ZERO heat.

Give the yeast some credit!! Ever watch an aggressive fermentaion taking place? The yeast are flying all around sinking to bottom before catapulting to the top...

I do ALL my maple/honey/candi sugar additions at the 2/3 sugar break.
Dump it straight into the fermentor and the yeast take care of the mixing!

Its amazing how much flavor/aromatics you can get out of these additions by applying ZERO heat.

Well you have a point there....but would someone add a fermentable sugar like honey in the secondary after active fermentation already occured?
Keep in mind I am a newb so...

Well you have a point there....but would someone add a fermentable sugar like honey in the secondary after active fermentation already occured?
Keep in mind I am a newb so...

There are yeast in the secondary and yeast like to eat sugar. That is one situation where there truly is a secondary fermentatation.

If I add apples to my wort while it's boiling will they act like a fermentable and make the ABV% higher?

Yes, apples have fermentable sugars and adding them to the boil will add ABV. It will also add pectin haze that won't go away.

Back