Purée in Hefeweizen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abridges

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just did a Hefeweizen brew. I used the WLP320 yeast and left it for 9 days in primary. Fermentation seemed to be complete with very little to no activity in the airlock. I racked to secondary today over a 3lb batch of Raspberry Purée, however, I have encountered a problem. I am going to be moving next week, so I was planning on bottling next Thursday-Friday so it would be bottled by the time I move. I have read that you should let it sit in secondary for two weeks while using Puree, but what consequences would I come across if I let it sit in secondary for 5 days, move to a tertiary, and let it clear up for 2-3 days before bottling? I would not transfer over the fruit sludge that was in the secondary carboy, and I'm hoping that fermentation would stop within those few days. I also plan to add an ounce or two of Raspberry extract at bottling. I'm looking to avoid any bottle bombs. Any suggestions?

why not skip the puree for this round and just do the extract?

5 days will not be long enough to for secondary fermentation and flavor extraction. I'd hate to see you waste $18-20 to try and "rush it". Save it for another beer and just go with extract for this time is what I would suggest.

why not skip the puree for this round and just do the extract?

5 days will not be long enough to for secondary fermentation and flavor extraction. I'd hate to see you waste $18-20 to try and "rush it". Save it for another beer and just go with extract for this time is what I would suggest.

This is my problem, my friend. I've already added the puree. I just listened to a guy at the LHBS who said "it would be fine." It's not really like me to not scourge the web before doing something, but this time I just went with it. Now it's either "rush it" or worse... :mad:

Can you leave it in secondary and take it with you when you move? Oxygen shouldn't be a problem since you've added more fermentables and CO2 production has resumed, pushing any O2 out the airlock. Load up your carboy and haul it to the new place, then transfer after it's had a couple of weeks to ferment the puree.

This is my problem, my friend. I've already added the puree. I just listened to a guy at the LHBS who said "it would be fine." It's not really like me to not scourge the web before doing something, but this time I just went with it. Now it's either "rush it" or worse... :mad:

Aha! I didn't realize that you already added your puree (I should actually take the time to read your entire post before replying I guess!). Can you afford to move it with you as LLBEANJ suggests? If you aren't moving very far this seems like the best idea. If you have to bottle, I would think about how much bottling sugar you might add since the puree is already adding sugar for the yeast to munch on. The last thing you'd want is bottle bombs.

Does the puree can detail how many grams of sugar it includes?

Aha! I didn't realize that you already added your puree (I should actually take the time to read your entire post before replying I guess!). Can you afford to move it with you as LLBEANJ suggests? If you aren't moving very far this seems like the best idea. If you have to bottle, I would think about how much bottling sugar you might add since the puree is already adding sugar for the yeast to munch on. The last thing you'd want is bottle bombs.

Does the puree can detail how many grams of sugar it includes?

I would much rather bottle. It's an 8 hour drive, which seems fairly long to carry a carboy. I was planning on actually ditching it and picking up another one to save space. The bottle claims it has 130g sugar. I really wish I would have done some more research before I decided to dump that in there.

Back