Please help me figure this out!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapebrews

Reaction score
I want to brew my kölsch today, and have converted an old mini fridge into a ferm chamber. My 5 gal carboy fits great with a lot of room for an airlock or blowoff tube. My 6.5 fits, with a blow off tube only but it's kinked pretty bad. I'm using white labs 029 kölsch yeast , and I've heard it pretty active. Can I use my 5 with the tube

image-1166767916.jpg

Maybe you could acquire a carboy bung, drill a hole for a slightly smaller diameter tube, and use that. The smaller diameter tube may not kink so bad. The smaller tube should allow more space on the inside of the tube, without the same risk of clogging. ( Smaller diameter tubes need less length to form a curve, thereby reducing or eliminating the kink)

Can you put a wedge under one side of the carboy to minimize the bend the hose has to make?

Can we see a photo of your mini fridge conversion. I need one too.

Those are all great ideas... But I didn't spend much time on it before I read these latest posts... What I ended up doing was shaving more of the door insulation out and cutting a convex area out of the front of the compressor hump, thereby eliminating the need for the platform. The 6.5 fits fine now with the B. O. Tube and has lots of head space.... But now the inside of my fridge is ugly as all get out and the temp runs 10° higher than the controller setting. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

That's the platform I was going to use.. But I can still use it for my secondary, and (off topic) as of right now it is holding the WLP029 I just split off the fresh vial..

image-1790801643.jpg

Back