Harpoon UFO clone. This recipe vs AHS kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPD

Reaction score
I do not recall where I found this recipe but was wondering if those of you from Boston could let me know. Is this close to UFO or would I be better ordering the AHS clone kit? Harpoon is not distributed well thru PA and I am definitely not going to make it back to Boston this spring to get some so thought I would brew something close to it for my wife.

Harpoon UFO Clone
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 68.75 %
1.00 lb Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 % 45min steep
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.50 % 45 min steep
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 % 45 min steep
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (3 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.70 %
Bitterness: 19.0 IBU
Est Color: 7.3 SRM

I saw the AHS kit used WLP300 which seems wrong to me. Harpoon does have a house strain. Since UFO is an Un-Filtered Offering you could culture it from a bottle. Otherwise I would use WLP1010.

Back in the year 2000, this beer was hard to find in bottles outside Boston, which was 100 miles away from my house. While visiting the city, I picked up two six packs with the intent on culturing the yeast to brew. I liked the lighter refreshing taste of this American Wheat as opposed to a German Style wheat. I was happy with the end result. Nice summer American wheat at a time when this style was not common in my area. Also the first time I cultured yeast from a commercial beer which made it fun as well.

6 lb LME German Weizenmalt (I used M77 from Williams Brewing because the color closely matched UFO and the wheat malt at LHBS always ended up light amber.)

1.25 oz Tettnanger hops (3.3 AA) 60 min. ( I believe the label stated using this hop back then)

0.5 oz Tettnanger hops (3.3 AA) 15 min

Yeast cultured from one bottle of UFO

Fermented at 65.

My notes indicate that it took 13 days for the krausen to settle during primary fermentation.

OG 1.040
FG 1.009

Back