what is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbey

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20130426_230856.jpg

Yeast doing it's thing. Wyeast usually gives me the same results.
Nothing to worry about.

It's a bucket mostly full of liquid with some foamy stuff on top. If you don't know what it is and didn't put in in there yourself, you should probably dump it out somewhere far away from where you live.

Wow, that looks like a Kombucha SCOBY.

Ahh you got it! I thought It would be harder and people would be super confused. I'm attempting to sour a berliner weiss with a SCOBY. I'm doing a sour mash of sorts with the second runnings from my hefe. I added a half gallon of kombucha and a huge scoby I had. I'm gonna syphon it out when I dem it ready add a pound of wheat dme and boil it down with a small dose of hops then use a clean ale strain. I don't know if anyone has attempted this yet or not but I thought I would experiment

Ahh you got it! I thought It would be harder and people would be super confused. I'm attempting to sour a berliner weiss with a SCOBY. I'm doing a sour mash of sorts with the second runnings from my hefe. I added a half gallon of kombucha and a huge scoby I had. I'm gonna syphon it out when I dem it ready add a pound of wheat dme and boil it down with a small dose of hops then use a clean ale strain. I don't know if anyone has attempted this yet or not but I thought I would experiment

Google it up homes. It's been done a bit. I think Madfermentationist has a post, Jester King does once commercially.

The only thing I'd worry about is that group of microboes usually has acetobacter. With a higher alcohol level than kombucha it seems like it could get vinegary quick.

Latest posts

Back