Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What temperature did you mash this and what temperature did you sparge with?

So, I got 50 pages in, but I haven't seen an answer to the question I have.

The first post states that it can be done with 4 days in primary and 5 days secondary, but I didn't see anyone commenting on having used that same aggressive schedule when they made it.

I brewed this on Sunday (3/31), and having had too many parties lately, my rolling stock of homebrew has been obliterated, so I'd like to get this on tap ASAP. The rest of my keezer build is coming in on Monday 4/8.

I made a few mistakes when I brewed this (my first AG batch), including doubling the hops (was looking at the 10g batch) and only hitting a mash temp of 141 (I ended up deciding to mash for 2.5 hours as a result). My OG came out to only 1.031. I think I've rectified the cause of these problems, but wanted to mention in case it was relevant. I also used S-05 yeast.

So, my questions are:

Assuming fermentation is completed as measured with hydrometer,

1.) Is transferring to secondary necessary? I know there are a lot of opinions out there on using secondaries in general, but looking for input on how it applies to this situation. I don't have gelatin, so I wouldn't be using any.

2.) Is 9 days total too short from kettle to keg?

I'm thinking that, whether I do a secondary or not, I will place in Keezer on 4/9 for 48 hours to drop some yeast out of suspension, and then transfer to keg on 4/11 and burst carbonate.

Thanks for any advice!

I carb'd and keg'd this last Wednesday after 10 days in Primary. It wasn't good at all because of the mistakes I made (described above). I thought that it was going to be permanently overly-dry and very over-bitter. Really couldn't taste any of the maltiness and it had kind of a harsh bite to it.

However, the extra hop additions really just made it require more time to meld apparently, because as of yesterday it was delicious. The extra hops have really calmed down and some of the maltiness has even come out. Unfortunately, I'm down to about 1/3 of the keg already! Having setup the kegerator just last week, my worst fears have been realized. My friends think it's an endless beer fountain.

Will definitely be keeping this on tap for the freeloaders (it's relatively cheap to make and delish!) I may repeat the extra hop additions in the future if I'm not going for turn-around time. Can't wait to finish my keggle so I can do 10g batches.

Thanks BM!

Ok, just placed my order for this @ BrewMasters, will let you guys know how it turns out. Total Ingredients was just $19.03.........Good Deal !!........

Brewed 10 gallons over the weekend to turn into an Apricot Blonde. Will be dumping apricot puree into the primary shortly, and apricot extract @ kegging time. Wish me luck!

Like most everyone else, I've played extensively with this recipe. It is exceptional just by itself but makes, as many of us have discovered, a wonderful starting for some very tasty brews. I have probably brewed close to 100 gallons of this recipe. We just love it. I recently tweaked it toward a German Ale and posted my efforts on our club Facebook page. The page is called MissLou Home Brewers. It is a tribute and testament to this great recipe and all accolades are given. Thanks BierMuncher!

IMG_5621A.JPG

IMG_5837A.JPG

Just bottled her up, my first AG BIAB (3 gallon). Smelled wonderful - pure, clean, refreshing. Efficiency was a tad weak, 1.036 OG, 1.008 FG. Tasty sample from hydrometer. Two weeks in primary, now I have to wait for the bottles. I will be sampling one in a week though! Thanks again BM, my wife's friends are gonna like this I think, along with the guys.

I am looking to scale this recipe down to 3 gallon's using BeerAlchemy. Since I'm a noob to brewing (have done 3 extract batches) I am not sure I've entered the values correctly.

Would you mind sharing what you did for this recipe in a 3 Gallon BIAB version?

This is what I get when I plug int he 5 Gallon Batch (5.5 yield) values in BeerAlchemy and Scale to 3 gallon:

3lb 13oz of US 2-Row Malt
6.55 oz of US Carapils Malt
4.36 oz of US Vienna Malt
4.36 oz of US Caramel 10L Malt

0.13 oz of US Centennial (55 Min From End)
0.13 oz of US Centennial (35 Min From End)
0.13 oz of US Cascade (20 Min From End)
0.13 oz of US Cascade (5 Min From End)

^

Why not just do the whole recipe as a BIAB? I'm doing the entire 5.5 gallons using a 7.5 Turkey Fryer and a separate container to sparge in.......

^

Why not just do the whole recipe as a BIAB? I'm doing the entire 5.5 gallons using a 7.5 Turkey Fryer and a separate container to sparge in.......

Just wanted to try BIAB in a smallish amount to start and not complicate things. I have a 30qt pot and wanted to have a comfortable amount of room to do my first BIAB.

^

Also want to try brewing more regularly in smaller quantities, but from the responses on this thread, I may be brewing this very regularly.

I just cracked one open today after bottle conditioning for 16 days. Very drinkable beer. Then again, aren't they all? I would love to brew this again in the summer except I would like to make it a strawberry or raspberry blonde. I'm also a huge blueberry fan, so maybe a blueberry will be in order. No matter what, this is probably the best drinkable by all beer that I have brewed. I am waiting to rack my oatmeal stout to the tertiary, and that's probably my favorite all around beer. The blonde is a definite second.

I just brewed this on Sunday and have seen little to no activity in the airlock. I used a biab method and everything looked and smelled fine. My OG was 1.043. It's now Wednesday and it's been fermenting at about 72 degrees. That's as cool as I can get it in my house with a water bath and towel & fan. When's a good time to take a second gravity reading? I also planned on making it a strawberry blonde with fruit extract when I bottle it.

I just brewed this on Sunday and have seen little to no activity in the airlock. I used a biab method and everything looked and smelled fine. My OG was 1.043. It's now Wednesday and it's been fermenting at about 72 degrees. That's as cool as I can get it in my house with a water bath and towel & fan. When's a good time to take a second gravity reading? I also planned on making it a strawberry blonde with fruit extract when I bottle it.

What yeast? Ive seen Notty finish after hardly any time.

Agree. I brewed this up two weeks ago. Fermenting at a liquid temp of 68-69, I hit terminal gravity after 2-3 days. Not that you should rack right then, the yeast still need time to condition and clean up byproducts (along with flocculating and dropping), but hitting your terminal gravity with Notty in a beer wort takes no time at all.

It's that Nottingham, that Nottingham guys. It's that Nottingham. It cakes! You know wassup, it's that Nottingham.

I have a brother in law living in Denham and get down there when I can. You're welcome to join me in the ole Man Cave up here in the Natchez/Vidalia area for a brew day and share tips anytime. I don't know of any home brewers here so it would be a pleasure to visit with someone with the same interests. Due to my location I generally stay fully stocked with just about everything and I started a hop garden this year as well.

IMG_5639a.JPG

Do those containers work well for keeping the grain fresh? I'm kinda in the same boat due to my location and have been using a big (new) garbage pail. Would like to have something a bit more organized

Rockindaddy ; Did not read back to find out if you used a bucket or carboy but if bucket then it is just probably leaking out the lid , I use duct tape for this , and not going through the air lock . No big deal . let it sit for at least a week and then test it if you want but let it sit another week or two to finish off and then bottle .

Do not worry about 72 degrees . I ferment almost all my beer at that temp because it is just the temp my room is most of the time . Works just fine . In summer I have put it in the tub and filled it with cold water through the day when it was real hot . Just try to not let it get over that and definitely not over 75 although you probably would not get any off flavors until about 80 I think , but I would not push it .

Next time put some in a beer bottle after you add in the yeast and cover it with a piece of paper towel and twist tie it on . Then you have some you can test for FG without opening your fermenter . Do not get stupid like I did and try to taste this bottle after a few weeks as you will be quite disappointed with the horrible spoiled taste in your mouth .

Got to try my first bottle today, after only 15 days bottle conditioning. I'm very impressed! I think I'll be able to share it with my bmc drinking friends. Usually it's just a waste of good beer, but this one may win a few people over.

My apologies on this recipe. I initially reported that it was lacking in flavor. Well, it needed to sit and age a bit more. Now after 5-6 weeks in the bottle, it is a great beer. It has subtle, but really nice flavor. Another thing was it needed to be served at 45-50F and not right out of the fridge for the complete flavor. A great thirst quencher in the spring-summertime. This will be a regular beer for me, although I still may add a bit more flavoring hops, but just a bit more.

I just tasted my version of this great recipe , i used some vienne , cascade , willamette and northern brewers i had lying around and it is pretty good . Not bottled yet just in the fermenter for a couple weeks . Kind of a fruit flavor that hopefully will die down after conditioning . I plan to drink it just like my other blondes and pour it through some whole leaf chinook .

The containers in the picture are a bit deceiving. Within the containers I still keep my grain in large ziplock bags to insure freshness. The containers are great for organizing and visually inspecting inventory though.

Just brewed 11 gallons of this 2 days ago. Had a slight issue with efficiency (69%), which put my gravity low at 1.038. I added an additional 1/2 oz of whole leaf cascade split between 15 minutes and 2 minutes. I used wlp051 cal ale V, instead of Nottingham. Has anyone used this yeast for this beer? Was this an appropriate substitution? I've gotten in the habit of making starters and made one for this beer. I'm pretty sure I overpitched and probably should have just used the dry Nottingham. How far from the original should I expect it to be?

Have you brewed yet with WLP051? Im about to use the same yeast
next sunday

Have you brewed yet with WLP051? Im about to use the same yeast
next sunday

Nope. This is my first time using this yeast and, my first time making this beer. I just bottled half the batch yesterday, so I'll wait till next weekend before trying my early (1 week) taster. I will try to post some comments after a couple weeks. I'm still considering dry hopping the other half of the batch with the half oz whole leaf cascade I have left. I'll decide on that tomorrow.

Just finished brewing this... Hit the OG dead on, and I used Citra instead of Cascade. I also used whirlfloc and the gravity sample was already crazy clear! Can't wait to try this!

Thanks for the recipe!!!

Thanks BierMuncher. Brewed the extract version yesterday for my first batch of home brew. Came out with a little higher OG (1.046). Got a little less than 5.5 gallons too, so I think the OG makes sense. The sample tasted good!

Tasted this after 1 week in the bottle and it was refreshing and delicious. Exactly the the kind of beer a BMC drinker could suck down and go "damn that was good!", and I mean that in a good way. Great transition beer for non-craft brew drinker.

I brewed this with a biab method and didn't see much activity during fermentation. My OG was 1.043 and FG was 1.010, so I only got a 3.28% ABV. It's bottle conditioning now so it'll be a couple weeks before i get to try it.

I brewed this with a biab method and didn't see much activity during fermentation. My OG was 1.043 and FG was 1.010, so I only got a 3.28% ABV. It's bottle conditioning now so it'll be a couple weeks before i get to try it.

I get 4.4% on those figures.

Back