Belgian Wit still chugging after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDogBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all,

This place is the rock star of home brewing info.
Long time reader and student here; first time posting.

I attempted a AG Belgian Wit.
Here are the details:

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs crystal 20
3 lbs White wheat
3 lbs Light red wheat
2 lbs cara pils dex
1 lb flaked oats

RIMS 60 mins@152

2.0 oz Hallertaur leaf@30 mins
0.5 oz cracked coriander seed @10 mins
3.0 oz dry sweet orange peel @10 mins

1.0 vial WL Belgian Wit 0400 - 2L starter @36 hours

OG: 1.062

After the boil I recirculated for 15 mins., switched the recirc into a cfc, cooled quickly down to 66 deg. back into the BK, pitched the starter right into the BK and continued to recirc for another 7 mins or so to aerate. I then split the batch into (2) 6 gal glass carboys. The OG ended up 6 points too high as I am still trying to gain experience & knowledge about average expected efficiency with my new equipment and RIMS technique.

The 64 deg. fermentation started slowly up until day 2 when it took off. A very thick healthy krausen peaked around day 3. After day 10 the airlock was still cooking and the krausen was still very thick. I decided at that point to gently swirl one carboy just to see if it would collapse. It didn't, in fact, later that night, it went to the opposite extreme and blew through the airlock. I discovered the blow out the next morning when I came upon one of my beagles happily lapping up the dried yeast stuck to the outside of the carboy.
After sanitizing everything I popped off the airlock and checked the gravity: 1.024. Today is day 14 and the krausen is still thick and healthy looking, the beer is swirling around merrily, the yeast are still partying, and I'm stuck wondering when my invitation will arrive?

When the beer is done; and you are fermenting kind of low for a Belgian. IMO you should ramp up the temp into the high 60's low 70's at this point, otherwise you will be missing out on those funky Belgian flavors:) At the low temp you are at the yeast are just slow to work.

Yes, I was also told by the gents at my LHBS that the temperature might be the reason for the slowmo. I just gently twirrled both carboys and racked the entire brew to my new Sabco fermenter. I am going to raise the temp and pressure ferment the rest of the way and see if I can tame this bad boy down for kegging by next weekend.:drunk:.......it's 5 O'Clock somewhere.

Back