18%abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
How much sugar would I need to add, say, to a gallon of plain water? (I can adjust for relative sugars in concentrate etc...) To achieve 18%ABV?

If sucrose is 46 ppg, say you added 3.4 lbs to 1 gal, thatd give you a grav of 46x3.4= 157. If sucrose is 90% fermentable (that's my estimate I don't know the real value) so that gives 141x.131 = 18.5% abv. Its just algebra

sucrose is basically 100% fermentable, so about 3lbs. whats the goal in this?

I have to ask, what yeast do you plan to use? also what technique for adding sugar? high ABV brews are not as easy as they sound.

I have to ask, what yeast do you plan to use? also what technique for adding sugar? high ABV brews are not as easy as they sound.

I have EC-1118, I din't know there was any "technique" to adding sugar. Don't most of us just dump it in? Well, I have heard of adding some now and more later. What technique would be best for high ABVs?

my orig Question was to get a baseline for my fermentation. And the point is NOT to contaminate the brew with store bought alcy.

Contaminate is not a fair word. Wine cannot be made to 18.5% alcohol. To reach that level, extra alcohol- grain alcohol (such as a clean flavored vodka), are typically added. This is how very famous beverages such as port and brandy are made.

You can ferment sugar and water into alcohol, but it will have lots of volatile chemicals in it which will tast horrible. It would need to be carbon filtered to remove those flavors, which in essence is= vodka.

Cyclman said:
Contaminate is not a fair word. Wine cannot be made to 18.5% alcohol. To reach that level, extra alcohol- grain alcohol (such as a clean flavored vodka), are typically added. This is how very famous beverages such as port and brandy are made.

You can ferment sugar and water into alcohol, but it will have lots of volatile chemicals in it which will tast horrible. It would need to be carbon filtered to remove those flavors, which in essence is= vodka.

I made a cherry wine a few years ago that came out to 18% using 25 pounds of cherries sugar and water.

It can be done.

I have a muscadine wine that hit 17% without any trouble. I did use a blend of montrachet and champagne yeast though.

Hate to break it to ya, but sugar and water doesn't make wine.

Hate to break it to ya, but apparently NO one read what's in the ()s at the beginning of this thread. I do admit I could have stated the question more clearly or rephrased it. AnyHoooo... I have the answers I was looking for.

Back