Bottle Cap Sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoppaFarms

Reaction score
Hey all. A local craft brewery sells their beer in 0.75L bottles that I would like to reuse because of their shape and size. I've seen the 29 or 30mm bottle caps denoted "European" sized caps and I'm wondering if that is the size that these bottles use before I go buy a new capper. Here are some pictures next to a 12oz bottle for comparison.

image-1640698423.jpg

image-746834738.jpg

There's no way to tell unless you try to fit a "normal" cap on it, if it doesn't fit, it's a Euro sized bottle. But depending on the capper you have, if they are 29mm caps you don't have to replace the entire capper, you just have to buy a 29mm bell, then you have to turn your plates over on the red barron/Emily capper'
champagne-adapter.jpg

And these caps from Norther Brewer.

Just use wine corks or champiagn stoppers and bails

I could cork and the capper I have my eye on would allow me to do both, but that's not what I asked.

I suppose I could ask what size they use the next time I'm there. Thanks for the idea.

There's no way to tell unless you try to fit a "normal" cap on it, if it doesn't fit, it's a Euro sized bottle. But depending on the capper you have, if they are 29mm caps you don't have to replace the entire capper, you just have to buy a 29mm bell, then you have to turn your plates over on the red barron/Emily capper'
champagne-adapter.jpg

And these caps from Norther Brewer.

Thats what I've been looking at Revvy, thanks! I am 100% sure that my normal caps won't fit on it. The bottle lip won't even fit inside the bell of my capper. I have the cheaper black wing-style one and I don't believe I can even change the bell on that one so I'm looking at upgrading to a bench capper of sorts.

2 cents here.

you would need a new size and bell for the capper. the caps are 29mm. its better to cork in my opinion. stronger seal and less chance of blowoff.

ebay or northern brewer can help for the items needed.

stronger seal and less chance of blowoff.

e.

Where'd you get THIS idea?

A crimped bottle cap is a crimped bottle cap regardless of whether it's an american standard or a 29mm cap. PLENTY of belgian and highly carbed and big beers are bottled using them, hence their relative commonality these days. If they're used by commercial breweries for some Belgian Beers do you REALLY think they'd risk using them, if their was a chance of a blowoff?

You'd think they'd really risk it? Geez.

Measure the top of the bottles. 12 oz. should be 26mm, 750ml should be 29mm.

In a pinch, you can use the 26mm capper with the bigger caps but you must go very slow and work your way down to a good seal.

Take a us cap thats already come off a beer and see if it'll sit perfectly on too I not then its 29mm and you have champagne bottles, lucky you, I'd kill for a good stash. If you have a red Barron cap just buy a 29mm bell and some caps offline and you're good to go.

Take a us cap thats already come off a beer and see if it'll sit perfectly on too I not then its 29mm and you have champagne bottles, lucky you, I'd kill for a good stash. If you have a red Barron cap just buy a 29mm bell and some caps offline and you're good to go.

My local recycler won't crush up champagne bottles because he's afraid of ruining his equipment on the thick glass. He's happy to save them. I finally had to tell him to quit after 6-700.

jungatheart said:
My local recycler won't crush up champagne bottles because he's afraid of ruining his equipment on the thick glass. He's happy to save them. I finally had to tell him to quit after 6-700.

I'd make 10x the sour/funky beers I make now if I had a supply like that, I'm insanely jealous

jungatheart said:

I need to contact the recycling places around here and see if they will do the same for me

Hey all. A local craft brewery sells their beer in 0.75L bottles that I would like to reuse because of their shape and size. I've seen the 29 or 30mm bottle caps denoted "European" sized caps and I'm wondering if that is the size that these bottles use before I go buy a new capper. Here are some pictures next to a 12oz bottle for comparison.

Anyone have a source for the bottle on the right? I know thats what The Bruery uses - just don't know where to buy the empty bottles.

As an update. Yes the 29mm bottle caps are the correct for that bottle. I honestly believe it's a champagne bottle because it's the thicker glass and has the raised bottom as many wine/champagne bottles do. I bought the Colonna capper to replace my old wing capper so that I can cork and do both US and European caps. Works like a charm! Sorry, I don't have a source, but I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to find champagne bottles.

I've started saving Belgian and Trappist bottles for future use with high gravity Belgians. I have Westmalle, Zinebir, Affligem and a couple others... all European. Funny thing is they all seem to have the smaller American style tops. I do have a couple larger 29mm Euro style ones to compare with. I'm just saving any with smaller tops in hopes they'll all work with a standard capper. I would test, but I don't use caps at the moment, only swing-tops.

Latest posts

Back