Should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it for direct fire? If so, I would prefer a tri-clad bottom like my 50qt SS has, but even my aluminum 60qt pot has that same thickness on the bottom as the side wall and it does fine with direct fire. What would really turn me off about this is that it is not 304 stainless. But, price is great so its really a balancing act between getting the cheapest stainless you can or getting the kettle you really want.

I have a fully dressed (sight glass, thermometer and ball valve) 10 gal brew pot that I currently only use for heating sparge water. I used to use it for a boil kettle, but now have a Blickmann. Bought it from one of the online hb distributors a couple years back. Looks like new, no welds. Willing to sell for $100 plus shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be wary, the handles on my kettle gave out before anything else. Very sketchy having a kettle break and drop 7 G of hot boiling wort on the way to the cooling tub.

I have a fully dressed (sight glass, thermometer and ball valve) 10 gal brew pot that I currently only use for heating sparge water. I used to use it for a boil kettle, but now have a Blickmann. Bought it from one of the online hb distributors a couple years back. Looks like new, no welds. Willing to sell for $100 plus shipping.

Thanks for the offer, but I am also going to buying the parts for an immersion chiller and to add a valve to convert an old kettle to a hot water tank. So with this pot at $65, and everything else together, I don't want to go too far (plus I think that would be too sophisticated for me at this point).

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will pick it up today or tomorrow and get all the other parts I need in preparation of the next batch (lager is in primary so it will be a few weeks).

Be wary, the handles on my kettle gave out before anything else. Very sketchy having a kettle break and drop 7 G of hot boiling wort on the way to the cooling tub.

Most kettles specifically indicate in the instructions not to use the handles to carry them while full. Even my Blichmann, which is in no way a "cheap" kettle, says they are not designed for that use. Regardless of whether the handles can hold against that much weight, its extremely dangerous to do it anyway. There is NO WAY you could get me to try to move my kettle with 7 gallons of 212F wort in it! That's a debilitating injury or even death waiting to happen.

Back