Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg595

Reaction score
Yeast. Can it be reused or not. I seen somewhere that the Egyptions used the yeast from the wine they made to make bread. Can this be done. If so, the yeast that I syphon my wine from. Can it be used to make more wine. ( adding yeast nutrients and energizer)

You can reuse brewing yeast. There are dozens of threads on this very topic here at HBT. You're looking for threads on yeast washing, yeast banking, reusing yeast, etc.

I run a yeastbank for my local brewclub - because of the way we re-use yeast, we rarely need to by commercial yeast (unless, of course, that strain isn't in the bank yet). Managed properly, brewing yeast can be re-used indefinitely. more conventional yeast-washing methods allow yeast to be reused 5-10 times before replacement.

And yes, you can reuse them in bread as well - just make sure you wash them well first, or you may get hoppy-tasting bread.

Now that I think about it, hoppy bread may not be a bad thing either...

Bryan

They are near-identical, but there are some differences. The methods used to reuse brewing yeast work just as well for wine (and for that matter, bread) yeasts.

Bryan

So the abv% wont kill the yeast? Or does the yeast every really die.

The higher alcohol levels stress the yeast do stress them more than an average beer, the net effect is:
1) If yeast-washing, you need to put more yeast in each jar (i.e. you'll get fewer jars), and
2) The number of times you can re-use the yeast will be less, unless you run them through a low-grave oxygenated starter to reinvigorate them.

B

Back