Rooibos Chai Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadist

Reaction score
Ingredients

• 9 Cups Honey (6.75 lbs)
  • 4 Tsp Rooibos Tea
  • 2 Cinnamon Sticks
  • 1 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 6 Cloves
  • 6 Cardamon Seeds
  • 1 oz Cascade Pellet Hops (AA: 6.8%)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • 2.5 g Wine Yeast (Red Star Cote des Blancs)

Directions

• In a medium brew pot (4 gallon) bring 2 gallons of water to a simmer.
  • Slowly add the honey while stirring continuously so the honey dissolves without burning on the bottom of the pot.
  • Bring the must back to a simmer while letting all the honey dissolve. Add the hop pellets, Cardamon Seeds, Cloves, and Cinnamon Sticks contained in a muslin bag.
  • Simmer for 20 minutes while preparing the tea and continually skim any white foamy scum that forms on the surface.
  • To prepare the tea, bring 16 oz of water to a boil, and remove from heat. Add the Rooibos and let steep for 3 minutes.
  • Strain the tea and add to the brew pot along with the Vanilla and Yeast Nutrient.
  • Submerge the brew pot in an ice bath, or cool through a worth chiller to bring the must to around 70 degrees.
  • Add the must to a 3 gallon carboy, aerate, and pitch the yeast. Make sure you re-hydrate dry yeast before pitching.
  • Seal carboy with bung and airlock and store in a dark place at a temperature of about 70 degrees.
  • After 3 weeks, with a siphon, re-rack the mead into two sanitized 1 gallon jugs.
  • After 2 weeks, re-rack, then let age for 6 months.
  • Serve chilled, and enjoy!

More Notes & Recipe Information

This one came out great for me and it got a good tasting score at the 2013 Mazer Cup (although I wasn't able to pull out a medal with it). The rooibos tea makes the color of the mead a brilliant red and the flavor was well balanced. I will definitely be working on refining this recipe - so let me know if you have any suggestions!

Back