Help with my beer recipe.(Beginner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotownBrewDown

Reaction score
Hey guys, so this is only my second batch of beer. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but I'm having fun!
I wanted to do a German dark wheat but as I was shopping for ingredients I want to experiment with so many flavors that it started to seem Belgium-ish to me. I'll tell you what I was thinking and hopefully you can help tell me if these flavors work together at all, maybe I need to change a few things, or if this will be a total fail and I should scratch it.
I'm using extract because I haven't learned mashing yet.
6lb wheat LME
3.3lb munich LME
1/2 lb special B(castle)
1/2 lb carawheat
1 oz German Hallertau hops AA 3.0-5.5%

Now here's where I started to just grab things I thought might add some interesting flavor. I would like these flavors to be very subtle and I'm not sure how much to add.
Some small combination of:
Cardamom, orange peel, and ginger or coriander
Would any of these work well?
Am I way off here or could this beer work out?
I'm pretty lost on what yeast to use as well but I was looking at Belgian Strong Ale Activator Wyeast ACT1388; stuff sounded good to me.
Any help, suggestions, or tips that someone could offer would be great!
Thank you

Assuming that you put it all in, and that you're aiming for five gallons, and assuming that Munich LME = Amber LME, and that you boil the hops for a full 60 minutes, TastyBrew gives me the following: OG 1081, FG 1020, ABV 7.9, IBU 11, SRM 18. Which means that you've just made a very sweet weizenbock.

Assuming that you actually want a weizenbock, this one's probably going to be cloyingly sweet, and the Special B, in particular, isn't going to be subtle. Special B is strong juju, and at a half pound it's going to be about 5% of your "grain." You could cut that down to 4 oz., maybe even 2 oz., and then it will be more subtle. To cut the sweet, and achieve something more balanced, you might want to get the IBU up to 25 or 30. To get there, you can add an additional ounce of Tettnang or Hallertau (they work well together) at 30 minutes remaining in your boil, and another ounce at 10 minutes remaining.

Try a commercial weizenbock (Aventinus is amazing) to see whether that's what you want. I brewed a weizenbock during the winter, and used the Wyeast Forbidden Fruit yeast. Unfortunately, I was ham-handed with it and screwed it up. But underneath it all was the bones of a good beer. Enjoy!

Thanks for the help. I tried Aventinus like you recommended and it is great. I think I'm set on trying a Weizenbock. Any possible other tips on ensuring the beer doesn't come out too sweet? Or do you think reducing the special B and adding more hops should do the trick?

It was after tasting Aventinus that I knew that I couldn't beat it, and took my weizenbock recipe in a different direction (some of which was good).

Reducing the amount of Special B will make it subtle. It's very noticeable, even at 5%. Most people describe it as giving an overwhelming caramel and raisin flavor. In small amounts, however, it can add an appealing complexity.

I had a student who made an "imperial milk stout", trying to combine the smoothness and sweetness of a milk stout with the hoppiness and weight of an imperial. It came out as a smooth imperial, where the hoppiness completely killed the sweetness. So yes, I think that bumping up the bitterness will cut through the sweetness, and you'll end up with something you'll like. Post how it turns out.

Back