4 x 8 x 1 Raised Bed Rhizome Capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusticeAle

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First time hop grower and I finally have my raised bed ready with good soil, fertilizer, etc. I have 6 cascade rhizomes right now. All I have to do is install a trellis. My question is this. How many rhizomes can I fit in a 4 x 8 x 1 raised bed?

I've thought of 4 different layouts so far.

Option 1: 6 evenly spaced rhizomes. As in 2 rows of 3.
Option 2: 5 evenly spaced rhizomes. 4 rhizomes in the four "squares" of the bed and 1 in the middle of the bed.
Option 3: 4 evenly spaced rhizomes. 4 rhizomes in the four "squares"
Option 4: 3 evenly spaced rhizomes. As in 1 row of 3

I'd like to maximize yield but I don't want to be dealing with a crazy mess in the next few years. What option do you all think is best or maybe you have some ideas far better then mine?:confused:

The usual concern is the the bines will become intertwined, but since it's all the same variety this is a moot point.

Next, you need to think about your trellis. What are they going to grow up? With 2 rows, will the back one be shaded?

• If the long edge of the bed faces south, I would plant 4-6 in a single row down the center.
  • Otherwise, 2 rows of 3 might work. Push them toward the long edges so they can grow into a tent shape.

My cascade puts out 2-3lbs of cones. Are you ready for 18lbs of cascade each year?

Thanks! The long edge faces the south. I decided to plant a 1 row of 4. :rockin: I goofed. I did not realize a row in front of another so close would block the light causing the back row to grow poorly. Good heads up.

Back