Plastic buckets for wine after beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of Skeeter Pee using the buckets I ferment my beer in. The problem is the buckets have a slight beer odor and a yellowish tint to them. I clean them with oxiclean after every use, but the color and odor has built up over the years.

Is it fine to use the same buckets as long as I know they're clean even though the beer smell has stained the plastic?

Acyr90 said:
I want to make a batch of Skeeter Pee using the buckets I ferment my beer in. The problem is the buckets have a slight beer odor and a yellowish tint to them. I clean them with oxiclean after every use, but the color and odor has built up over the years.

Is it fine to use the same buckets as long as I know they're clean even though the beer smell has stained the plastic?

If it has an odor, don't use it, get a new bucket for wine.

Any wine or skeeter pee will have a hoppy taste to it. If you like that go for it. It is impossible to get all the hop oil out of plastic after many years use. And if you have been brewing for years in the same bucket you might want to get a new one anyways. Most buckets are only good for 20 or so uses. They tend to get microscopic scratches that harbor bacteria/flavors etc and they start breaking down after repeated use. But to each their own.

I had to soak a bucket for days with oxyclean to get my dry hopped ipa smell out of there.

I've never had a smell that I couldn't get rid of with bleach. I would try a soak in as concentrated bleach as you can afford.

or just throw some in there and shake it for a while. I've found it works quickly.

Latest posts

Back