Food Safe Anti-Seize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Food Safe Anti-Seize? My big fear with stainless fittings is galling. I had some threads gall one time and ruined a project. I always use teflon tape but am still afraid of galling. So I recently heard of the FS Anti Seize.

McMaster Carr has a couple different kinds,

Metal-Free Antiseize Lubricants

Free of metal particles, these lubricants prevent galling in stainless steel and other sensitive alloys. These products are compliant under all state VOC rules in effect on October 1, 2010.

Loctite Food Grade—These nonstaining lubricants work particularly well on stainless steel parts. NSF registered H1 for applications with incidental food contact.

Food Grade with PTFE—These nonstaining lubricants contain nonstick PTFE as well as corrosion inhibitors. They work particularly well on stainless steel parts. NSF registered H1 for applications with incidental food contact.

Each
Size Color Pkg.
Qty. Partial
Pkg. Full
Pkg.
Loctite Food Grade (-20° to +750° F)
8-oz. Brush-Top Can White 12 1287K31 $20.27 $18.17
2-lb. Can White 12 1287K33 58.37 52.33

Food Grade with PTFE (-65° to +250° F)
8-oz. Brush-Top Can White 12 1404K21 21.43 19.21
Cartridge for Grease Gun (14 oz.) White 12 1404K22 25.50 23.11
14-oz. Container White 12 1404K24 24.65 22.41
2-lb. Container White 6 1404K25 56.40 51.11
7-lb. Container White 4 1404K26 152.89 139.79

High-Temperature Food Grade with PTFE (-35° to +1800° F)
9-oz. Brush-Top Can White 12 1718T2 24.28 21.68

Not much difference in price. All I can tell besides the brand difference is that one is PTFE. The Locktite don'tsay what it is.

The format kinda sucks from my copy paste. Here is a link,

http://www.mcmaster.com/#food-grade-antiseize-lubricants/=ml958u

I've dealt with plenty of stainless steel pipe. Bigger sizes(1" to 1 1/2") and at higher pressures (200psi). The trick is a lot of Teflon tape. When making up the fitting, go slow... You shouldn't have any problems. If it's not carrying alot of pressure, it doesn't have to be balls tight. I turn my SS thermometers into SS couplings hand tight and they don't leak.

You can buy a lot of Teflon tape for $20.
SS to SS is pretty safe. Like ColeBeer said, you don't need to over tighten it.
The big problems come from dis-similar metals... aluminum and SS don't like each other, but even so, as long as you use thread tape, you'll be fine.

I have used a touch of vaseline for some larger diameter pipe, but really, for our purposes, teflon and take it slow, there should be no impact of galling.

When working on jet engines in the Military, we would use unflavored Milk of Magnesia, ( read: no sugar!).
That said, I believe you would have to get it from your Pharmacist, as I have not seen it on the shelves in years!
What kind of heat is this area subjected to?
That is the areas, ( high heat), where it was used on the engines.......
The stuff is pretty much benign once you rinse off the access, and the heated parts usually came apart pretty easy.
It's pretty thin as well, when applied, so you could do a couple-three coats before assembly, with 5-10 minutes between coats.

+1 for Milk of Magnesia, used it many times on J-79s hot sections. Went together smoothly and never had an issue with galling threads. Ever since I have used it for spark plugs and exhaust fasteners on my own vehicles and experience similar results.

+1 for Milk of Magnesia, used it many times on J-79s hot sections. Went together smoothly and never had an issue with galling threads. Ever since I have used it for spark plugs and exhaust fasteners on my own vehicles and experience similar results.

Where did you work F-4's?
Me, Homestead, Spangdahlem, and George.

Ron:
PTFE is polytetrafluoroethylene, or teflon. It's added as fine particles in some liquid carrier. Why complicate things? I'd use teflon tape, so if you got to remove it all, it's easy to do. A toothbrush gets the stuff your fingernails can't reach.

Back