Wyeast 566 Saison, heat too early = HOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabedue

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a Saison and I decided to play with the heat a bit to compare with my other experiences with this strain. I propagate my own yeast and have quite a bit of experience with this strain. I typically let it ferment at 68-70F for the first 7 days before heating at +5 degrees a day until I hit 85F then keep on that heat for a week before transfer to secondary.

This time I jumped to 85F on day 1. The beer turned out pretty hot, not just alcoholic but also a little bit of the very unpleasant acetone/paint thinner taste. I have never had this issue before and didn't note any possible contaminations or mistakes during the brew so I'm assuming that it was the heat.

Any experiences with this and/or ideas about pushing Saison characteristics while avoiding this issue? I've never used any other Saison yeasts so if you have a suggestion I'd love the input.

Cheers.

Lots of heat right away will give you those fusels- the first few days of fermentation are when the yeast are most active and producing the most flavor. For best flavor, it's better to start cool and ramp the temperature a degree or two up every day, letting the beer finish really hot.

Back