Carbonation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflinvile

BrewCrew1002
Reaction score
I just brewed my first beer (imperial Russian stout) and I bottled in 22 oz bottles. Does it take longer to carbonate the beer In those bottles than in a 12 oz bottle? The directions said wait two weeks before drinking. Do I need to wait longer?

I just brewed my first beer (imperial Russian stout) and I bottled in 22 oz bottles. Does it take longer to carbonate the beer In those bottles than in a 12 oz bottle? The directions said wait two weeks before drinking. Do I need to wait longer?

Yes, you'll need to wait longer. The directions are overly optimistic (to put it nicely).

3 weeks @ 70*F is the benchmark carb/condition time for a normal gravity beer. Higher ABV and darker brews tend to take a bit longer. I'd give an Imp Stout a month at 70*F and a few days in the fridge before testing.

You know,they say 22oz bombers take longer to carb up. but Cooper's PET bottles are 25.16oz,or about 740mL & they took the same 3-4 weeks to carb & condition well. just like my 12oz'rs. Kinda makes me wonder about the validity of that common statement?...

I've never used anything but bombers and I've always found that they card up nicely in three weeks.

Might be different for a monster like a RIS.

Nice first brew by the way. Swingin' for the fences this one...

Yeah,a big one like a RIS will def take longer. but pale ales & the like always carbed up fine in the usual time for me in those bigger bottles. I still have 45 Cooper's PET bottles stashed for emergency use. But with a couple hundred bottles,mostly glass 12oz'rs,I may never get to them. Thinking of trading them or something to cut down this large stack of boxed bottles a tad...

Back