Low rye character

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I just recently brewed a rye PA and the final product is delicious but it is lacking the rye character that I have tasted in commercial examples. The beer has been in the keg for a week and I was wondering if more rye character will come through as it conditions?

Here is the recipe:

OG 1.064
FG 1.014
IBU 70

68% 2 row
17% Rye malt
6% C-80
4% Carapils
3% C-60

Mashed 154F

1oz Nugget 60
1oz Amarillo 30
1oz Amarillo 10
1oz Amarillo 0
2oz Amarillo Dry hop

Cali ale yeast fermented at 63F

I know you are close...but I usually use 20% rye in my rye beers. The flavor does develop after some aging, and will probably be more noticeable as the hop flavor fades a bit.

Good recipe...I might have to try this out.

I know you are close...but I usually use 20% rye in my rye beers. The flavor does develop after some aging, and will probably be more noticeable as the hop flavor fades a bit.

Maybe the commercial examples I have tried had some age on them.

I agree with ColoHox. My go to amount of rye is about 20% for a rye PA.
For me that gives a good balance. If you want more in your face rye flavor, you can bump it up some.

I do one with Amarillo and Cascade that is similar to your recipe and it is. afvorite of some of my friends.

I'd have to agree, I'd bump it to 20%.

But, I like a lot of rye, so on top, I'd also add a few ponds of rye flakes.

I just did a clone of Red's Rye that came out pretty darn good. The recipe called for 30% rye and I'm thinking???? It came out great. The only thing I would different would be to add some more hops at flame out and maybe dry hop it more than I did. We did an 11.5 gallon batch and used about 36 pounds of grain. But damn, that beer is good.
Simie

I don't think 3% more rye is going to make a huge difference. You have a lot of crystal in there for a pale ale (13% is amber ale territory) and the sweetness may be covering up the rye "spice."

I don't think 3% more rye is going to make a huge difference. You have a lot of crystal in there for a pale ale (13% is amber ale territory) and the sweetness may be covering up the rye "spice."

This...

I have found that FG plays a huge role in how much you can taste the rye.

While your FG isnt that high, you do have a lot of caramel flavor coming from the crystal 60 and especially 80.

If you pushed your FG down for the next batch and used a lower lovibond crystal you would be amazed at how much more present the rye is, even with all of the hop flavor.

a RyePa is one of my house beers.

I use 18% rye and 7% dextrin malt(carafoam, carapils whatever I have around)

It has a lot more hops than your recipe and the rye comes through nicely in the end. I have finished anywhere from 1012-1016(Ive been playing with yeast and mash temp trying to perfect it)

:mug:

Back