Mosaic pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
Last week I brewed a 5gallon batch of my pale ale recipe using Mosaic hops. This is the first time I have used them, and I can report that they are amazing! Probably my favorite hop, as they have a profile I have not come across before. I tasted a gravity reading this morning and it smells like a glass of fresh peaches! My next batch will be trying to emulate the apricot magic hat ale. Really neat hops! Also, I used the roasted buckwheat from highgravitybrew, and I definitely won't be doing my own from now on.

I've got a few oz of mosaic hops in the hoarding freezer with plans for an IPA...but calypsos are next up on the list (I've also got summer, aramis, apollo, and citra that I want to experiment with, as well as good ol' reliable horizon, simcoe, cascade, millenium, and northdown). What is the full recipe on this pale ale? I'm super curious about this hop!

3 lb rice syrup
3.3 lb sorghum extract at flameout
1 lb d45
1 lb sorghum syrup
12 oz maltodextrin
1 lb toasted buckwheat and
8 oz crystal oat malt steeped 30@147

1 oz mosaic @ 25
.5 oz @10
.5 oz @ 5

Irish moss, gypsum, and nutrient @ 10.

Wort diluted to drop OG to 1.057.

Bry-97 yeast

What is the difference between sorghum extract and sorghum syrup? Was this a 30 minute boil?

What is up with mosaic hops? I'd never heard of them until about 2 weeks ago, since then they seem to be popping up everywhere! What is their flavor profile?

Mosaic is a hybrid, but the varietals escape me at the moment. They have been around for a little over a year, but are growing in popularity. Sorghum extract is the stuff from briess in 3.3 lb tubs. Sorghum syrup is more like a molasses. I had heard that it is the same as blackstrap molasses, but some old southern lady told me that was wrong. If someone knows better, hey can clarify. I bought a bunch from a local honey guy so I have been using it.

I'm brewing my annual super pale (I change the recipe every year.). This year is a cascade mosaic pale.

6lbs golden lme
1lbs carapils

1 oz cascade @ 60
1 oz cascade @ 20
1 oz mosaic @ 5

2 oz cascade 7 day dry hop
1 oz mosaic 7 day dry hop

I also have a honey-basil double pale in the secondary I made with Simcoe and mosaic.

Sorghum is nothing like molasses. Sorghum will give you a citrusy twang and molasses will give you a metallic taste. Always use sorghum at flameout if you are adverse to the twang

Back