Chocolate Orange Stout - Sanity Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFSooner

Reaction score
Thinking about brewing NB's Chocolate Milk Stout as a starting point but changing it up by throwing in 1oz of sweet orange peel into secondary. Also was thinking of try to ferment it using some Pacman yeast harvested and propagated from some Rogue Double Chocolate Stout rather than the NW Ale the recipe calls for. I also have some London Ale III in the fridge that I used on a sweet stout before that turned out well. Thoughts? It's my first foray into changing up the recipe.

I wouldn't add orange peel, but that's just me... it could turn out good. I don't think either of those 2 yeasts would be wrong for it. pac man would probably be cleaner, and ferment a couple extra points compared to the london 3, so it would depend on what you wanted the yeast to do.

The orange was SWMBOs idea and not wanting yeasty over tones so Pacman sounds like the plan

If you have a small fermenter maybe a 1 gallon glass jug you could always rack a gallon to try and secondary with the orange peel.

I recently brewed a Chocolate Orange Peel Stout. It was very disappointing. I used 1 oz of sweet orange peel in the last minutes of the boil, then added a tincture at bottling made from an ounce that soaked in vodka. There isn't enough orange peel flavor or aroma. Instead it comes trough as a weird, unidentifiable flavor and aroma that isn't so pleasant. If I were to do it again I'd probably use a whole lot more orange peel along with fresh orange zest. But, I probably won't try it again. It was an experiment I don't think I'll revisit.

Back