In need of a third spice.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticinnbrewery

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So tonight I am putting together the following ingredients loosely based off of a Delirium Tremens extract clone. Now the actual clone calls for the below spices, but also includes ginger. I hate ginger. Consequently I want to add something to replace it. Any suggestions out there? Also, should i add something like irish moss to this to help clear it up? What other products are out there that could help clear the beer up besides irish moss (I dont think my LHBS has it there)? Thanks for your help!

5 Gallon batch

Pilsner LME - 7 lbs
Golden DME - 1 lb
Extra Light DME - 1 lb
Briesse Crystal 40L - 1 lb
Bittering Hops - Styrian Goldings - 1.5oz
Aroma - Saaz - .5 oz
Grains of Paradise
Coriander
White Labs Strong Blonde Yeast

Look for whirlfloc tablets. Basically, they are an Irish moss blend. Isinglass finings or polyclar can also be added at bottling to help with clarity.

Not sure what would be an adequate substitute for ginger, it's pretty distinct.

Not sure on the ginger replacement, but as for clearing your beer, I would definitely recommend gelatin! Use whirlfloc during the boil, and then gelatin while cold crashing. It works miracles!

Honestly, you could probably get away with just the spices in there. That yeast will get pretty darn spicy on its own. Don't be afraid to ferment that batch pretty warm, like mid 80's F. I mean you'd probably be safe with something like clove? Or maybe some orange peel, kinda like a wit beer. May not be much of a clone afterwards, but still sounds good either way

Back